Professors warn that 'commitment to empirical science' hurts women

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FrankieTDouglas, Mar 24, 2018.

1. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I'm seeing this thought trend popping up more now. The demonization of meritocracy. This is crazy, right?

"Though some scholars argue that engineering culture upholds hegemonic masculinity, Serron and her team take a different approach, arguing that it is not specifically “hegemonic masculinity” that hurts women but rather “meritocratic ideology.”

The study: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0730888418759774

Article link: https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10680

2. Bug-Creator, Mar 24, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

A professor of the fake sciences trying implant her nonsense into real science!

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There is some thought that female teachers get lower marks in student assessment than male teachers - even if they are just as good.

4. Zenithal, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018

Zenithal macrumors 604

It's probably like female doctors. Just as competent or better than their male peers, but patients rate them lower because they don't get that 'motherly' feeling. For some reason, people expect all female professionals to be soft and timid. It's quite sexist.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I might be able to access from an academic library, but the journal otherwise limits access. I will say the title and a portion of the quoted material makes it sound like navel gazing nonsense. The message seems to be that since women are the minority in engineering departments, they should expect the culture to be more accommodating to them. This is a pretty arrogant notion on the part of the authors or more likely just the primary author.

I think women in these departments should expect the guys to show them the same level of respect that they show other guys. The rest of it should be at least partly self correcting, given that women attend university at a higher rate than men. I should note that women aren't actually underrepresented in all STEM areas. They're often outnumbered by men in engineering colleges, but other areas such as the life sciences have far higher female enrollments.

I assume that authors are ordered in terms of contribution (typical but not always true), since the names don't progress alphabetically. The primary author then seems to focus more on legal matters in most cases. The others vary in their areas of expertise.

6. someoldguy macrumors 68000

Sure appears to unreadable nonsense . I'd like to see the whole thing , but I can't see shelling out 36.00 to prove my suspicions . However , it is a published article that can be appended to the author's CV.

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

It's no big deal - the article seems to be arguing that women internalise that there is no sexism, so they do not challenge it when they see it. Hardly surprising, but tragic nonetheless.

8. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Hot female teachers always got a high mark from me.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don’t think that really redresses the balance.

10. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

All I know my older brother had to screw his 12 grade English Female Teacher to get an A! This is STILL consider par for course and is expected, that’s sad in my book!

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Change the genders around and I suspect this method would sound a great deal less amusing.

12. jeyf, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018

jeyf macrumors 6502a

sounds dramatical:confused:
    so you have an older brother in high school?

13. jbarley macrumors 68040

jbarley

His grasp of the English language was that bad...:(

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Sexual double standards are still with us.

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

No he was into the middle of Junior year Basketball season as Captain! He hardly had free time from practice/games and homework at the same time!

When I went through almost the same way 7 years later the same female teacher tried to hit on me when I was 16 (I skipped 6 grade) during my Junior year! She finally was found out by her husband (told by other male teachers) she was drummed out of school my Senior school year and ended up with no jail time but at least her husband called some kids/ adults she seduced over the years at their divorce hearing, he won the hearing!

16. jerwin, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

jerwin macrumors 68020

I wouldn't be that surprised if "campus reform" stuck to the abstract, and didn't pay to read the full text of the article, either.

However, I have found an earlier study done by the same team.
    Seron, Carroll, Susan Silbey, Erin Cech & Brian Rubineau. 2016. “Persistence is Cultural: Professional Socialization and the Reproduction of Sex Segregation.” Work & Occupations. 43(2):178-214.

A footnote in that paper observes
    so I wouldn't be that surprised to learn that “I am Not a Feminist, but. . .”: uses the same methods, or even the same cohort at an later point in their lives. Anyway, this earlier study is open access.

Here Meritocracy is also critiqued.

Younger engineers and engineering students don't have the wisdom of experience. Until they do, they shouldn't attempt to enforce the hegemony. Rather, they should be a bit more humble, and learn to be better engineers.

I look forward to reading detailed, and dispiriting critiques of the engineering culture behind the FIU bridge collapse.

17. jeyf, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018

jeyf macrumors 6502a

is Hegemony the male dominance right?

18. jerwin macrumors 68020

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. jerwin macrumors 68020

Possibly not. I think hegemony is one of those bad things.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemonic_masculinity