Program comparable to runasdate

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jaredistheman, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Jaredistheman macrumors member

I'm looking for a program like run as date for mac, does anyone know of one?

Thanks!

2. Jaredistheman thread starter macrumors member

3. GregE macrumors 6502

I looked it up to see what it was and now I'm curious why one would need it.

4. Jaredistheman thread starter macrumors member

To make an applications trial version last longer.

5. OMGaNewbie macrumors newbie

Program comparable to runasdate

Hi,

I too am looking for a safe version for mac's.

I found a tutorial for PC's at:http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-hack-software-and-run-a-trial-program-forever-162448/

but when I go to the NirSoft page, I noticed, just below the Description paragraph, this was added to the screen I was viewing, which was not on the tutorial screen of the NirSoft web page.

Known "False Positive" Issues

AVG Antivirus reports that RunAsDate is infected with "Trojan horse Generic 10.THK".

I don't understand why that is there. Why would the web site owner of NirSoft post that?

Anyway, I think that is a real neat software. Allowing one to play games well past the trial period and for as many times as one would like.

So if anyone knows of a SAFE mac version, pls let us know.

Thank you

Also, I just found the below warning on this site: http://www.torrentreactor.net/find/runasdate-for-mac

Are you going to download runasdate for mac?
    It can be dangerous and cause a copyright infringement notice, so you might be prosecuted (read our Lawsuits Cases section).
    We would recommend you to use a special program TorrentPrivacy to avoid that. It allows you to be anonymous in bittorrent networks.

Gee......and how does one do that???? This sounds way to risky now. lolololol

6. JimboBimbo, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

JimboBimbo macrumors newbie

I ran across a similar problem where I had to have a specific time to open an application. I solved this by using a few lines of bash.

Code:
    tag1=$(date +%m)
    tag2=$(date +%d)
    tag3=$(date +%H)
    tag4=$(date +%M)
    tag=$tag1$tag2$tag3$tag4
    sudo date 03050001
    open "/Applications/Application.app"
    sudo date $tag
    Basically I take note of what time it is now (month, day, hour, minute) and then set the time to what I want it to be when the application opens it (here it is March 5th, 12:01 AM). The default format for the date in Macs is [[[mm]dd]HH]MM[[cc]yy][.ss]], nested in order of how it's read, so other things can be adjusted if necessary (cc means century).

I have a slight problem though, as the second sudo command prompts me to re-enter my password, even though I did that for the first sudo, and it's all one session. But that delay is only a few seconds. Also, if you're connected to the internet, even that doesn't matter, as allowing the time to be set automatically by Apple reverts to the correct time in ~10 seconds. If you want some more delay for the program to load, you can always put in

Code:
    sleep 60
    before the last line to make Terminal wait a minute before reverting back. Then you can toy with the variables and add a minute to the stored date to get the right time back.