Programs running on startup

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by blueflash99, Jun 7, 2018.

1. blueflash99 macrumors newbie

Whenever I startup my iMac, Activity Monitor , chrome, and Finder always start even tho I close them all before shutdown.

I have checked the icons in the dock and none of them have the Open at Login option checked.

I have checked the System Preferences/ Users & Groups/ Login Items and the programs are not listed there.

Why do these programs start? How can I prevent them?

I am running OS 10.13.4

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Are those specific apps launch every single time? Are you sure you have cleared the box saying reopen last opened window upon restart?

3. blueflash99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes to the first question. I don't know where the "reopen last opened window upon restart" box is. Perhaps that is the problem? I make sure I quit all programs before shutting down.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

When you are preparing to restart or shutdown, you get the box asking if you are sure. That box has the "Reopen windows when logging back in". Try unchecking that box next time you shutdown or restart.

What items ARE listed in your Login Items window? You could remove all the items in that list (simply unchecking the box next to an item does not prevent that from opening at login)
    You could download and run the good utility EtreCheck. That will list most items that boot up with your Mac, and can often help you decide what software is causing your issue. You can also post the results of an EtreCheck scan here (it will not show any of your personal info), and someone might be able to help you decide where the relevant bits are.

5. blueflash99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks deltamax, unticking the "Reopen windows when logging back in" box on shutdown seems to have fixed the problem. I just hadn't taken any notice of that box before when shutting down.
    The only items I have in "login items" are Dropbox and Onedrive.
    I will get EtreCheck and hav e a look at that too.
    Cheers

6. crjackson2134 macrumors 68040

crjackson2134

I’m glad @DeltaMac understood your question better than I. When you said they started, I took it to mean a background process started. I didn’t realize they launched an open window on screen.

I was wondering why you were trying to close or end finder. You were talking about a finder window... Duh!

@DeltaMac has an uncanny ability to communicate by Internet. Hats Off...