Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.random

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
brooklyn, babay, brooklyn
god do i feel like a heel asking so many questions...
but...

so before i upgraded to 10.2 i backed up my user directory which had a whole bunch of final cut pro documents that i really really need.
i backed up using ye old tar and gzip commands and then dumping th eensuing tar.gz files on a cd.
i installed 10.2
installed final cut pro
extracted the fiels form the archive

now final cut pro will not recgonize the files.
they come up as blank documents, no fcp icon.
fcp claims they are an 'unknown document'

help.
please...

thanks in advance,
nick
://whitenoise.com/
://nite.net/

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i don't know about FCP, but don't tell me you only made one copy of the backups? that copy might be corrupt somehow. hopefully you have other copies of your backups you can try.;) :D

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Big Diclaimer: I do not have or use FCP.

Here's my thoughts though. As both tar and gzip are Unix utilities it is possible that when you tared the files up the resource forks were lost and only the data forks added to the archive. As FCP is probably not written in Cocoa it needs the resource forks to tell what sort of files they are.

Solution : Find some way of adding the resource fork back to the files (if this iis really the problem). I imagine you need to add the correct type/creater codes (although I though OSX didn't use these for choosing the icon to show for a file).

.random

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2002
brooklyn, babay, brooklyn
got it!

i wondered the same thing about the resource fork after finally getting some sleep.

thus i wondered if 'resedit' would help me at all.
yes you (we) were right it's because the unix utilties somehow stripped the resource fork and eliminated the 'type' and 'creator' fields.
restored them and everything is completely hunky dory now!

next time i'll stick to stuff it instead of flexing my un*x and NeXT memories.

thanks all!

-nick
://whitenoise/
://nite.net/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.