Prolonged gaming and excessive wear on the keyboard. Has anyone had issues?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luvmymbpr, Dec 5, 2014.

1. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Hi all. Longtime PC gamer. Relatively new Mac gamer. I was just wondering if anyone has seen any issues with prolonged gaming on a MBPR. Mine is a late 2013 model with the nvidia card.

Over the course of a few hours, all games play fine. The fans come on to a noticeable noise level, but they aren't screaming.

As far as the keyboard is concerned, when I'm using the keyboard on the mac as you can imagine certain keys take excessive abuse.

I'm just curious how the machine holds up over time; something like a 3+ yr span. I have yet to run a macbook through long use, so I'm hoping the keyboard doesn't eventually weaken on certain keys. I'm also hoping that the system is designed to properly cool itself as to not experience premature hardware failure.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

2. Praesto macrumors regular

:cool: Premature hardware failure? haha check out the dGPU issues that arrise from stressing the card too much. You have a 3 year life on average in a mac used for gaming. You are lucky to get more than that.

That being said - I will be gaming SC2 and WoW occasionally on my new mac that arrives in a few days anyways.

3. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

What gpu issues? Are there discussions on here related to them?

Also, what are you basing the 3yr average on... just curious.

4. Praesto macrumors regular

Obviously there are discussions on here. Please use the search function. It will answer most of your questions.

Edit: To answer your second question - My last macbook pro died after 3 years of use (gaming) Also it just seems to be a fancy number.

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I don't game

any keyboard will show some wear and tear after years of gaming, the keys should be fairly easy to replace though if needed.

The rMBP's currently have no obvious problems with the dGPU, they have been out for 30 months now and no reports of excessive dGPU failure. Of course any component in any computer can fail but there is no sign of a specific common issue yet.

Previous generations however have had issues and currently apple is being sued by those struck down with the 2011 radeongate GPU issue.

6. luvmymbpr thread starter macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

Thanks for the reply. That's great to know that the gpu issue was resolved. Also, I did not know that keyboard keys could be so easily replaced. I'm used to laptops that require a complete keyboard replacement. That's a plus for sure.