Prominent Antigay Evangelical Blogger Outed as Gay

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jul 30, 2012.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oops. Another one bites the dust.

http://www.advocate.com/society/com...ominent-antigay-evangelical-blogger-outed-gay

2. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Yet another person who fails to get real help they need because they saw a "Christian Counselor".

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Let's hope he gets his act together sooner, rather than later.

4. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Seems that it's;

"You stab my back if I stab yours"

Oh well it won't be so stuffy out of the closet.

KGB:rolleyes:

5. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Maybe there is a god and he is punishing these idiots by making them what they hate. I'm not sure why else theres always seems to be some anti gay christian being outted, makes no logical sense to me to hate what you are.

6. Andeavor macrumors 6502

It's the ultimate glitch between religious dogma and human nature.

7. Queso macrumors G4

It makes me wonder if the reason these Christian bigots think gay people are broken is because all they ever encounter are broken gay people.

Note to Jonathan Merritt. It doesn't have to be this way.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think this a good case of 'Be true to yourself'

9. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Is there a term for gay evangelical anti-gay bloggers?

10. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Hypocrites?

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Given the details of this situation, I have a strong suspicion that divine intervention wasn't required because you have the causality reversed. First thing I wondered is exactly when the father got onto his anti-gay shtick. When his son was, say, ten or eleven years old, perhaps? Old enough that a father might pick up cues that his son isn't quite like the other boys and try to decide what sort of paranoid overreaction to have.

And in this case, the paranoid father was exactly right. And he was a preacher, so his overreaction was to preach hate. Giving people permission to hate other people almost always makes one popular, which he becomes. The son figures out his own sexuality in the shadow of a father not only telling him how he's defective, but who has built his public reputation on that idea. Being true to himself shames his father and himself, and being a basically good kid, he can't do that. So like all religious people, he carefully practices saying the right things to make him seem like a proper member of the community.

At the same time, he is a human being, and expressing sexuality is pretty much as inevitable as taking a breath, only on a longer scale. So there he is, caught between these conflicting necessities, not a hypocrite in the sense of one who takes pleasure in what he denies others, but in constant, unimaginable turmoil. Every choice he makes to serve one necessity betrays the other.

I have heard it suggested that all neurosis stems from the attempt to avoid legitimate pain, and that's the tragedy I suspect here. I'm not sure I can feel good for the kid being outed (though if you hook up with a gay blogger, you're pretty obviously looking for a way to "accidentally" come clean), but eliminating the false necessity of personal pride and denial is in the long run the best thing for him.

That's why it's going to be all the more tragic when he gets up in front of Daddy's followers and says exactly what Daddy wants to hear.

12. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Makes even less sense to hate what you aren't.

Who feels threatened by a gay man:
    A person who is not gay, or
    A gay person who represses his impulses in order to fit in with his church, family, and his view of "mainstream society."

I think it's obvious that the people obsessed with homosexuality are repressed gays, and my hypothesis is routinely proven by events such as these.