Prominent 'Gay Conversion Therapist' Comes Out as Gay After Divorcing His Wife

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, May 21, 2019.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

The hate apparently was true self loathing.

https://themindunleashed.com/2019/01/gay-conversion-therapist-david-matheson-divorce.html

David Matheson, one of the most notorious “gay conversion therapists” in the United States, has publicly announced a transition into the next chapter of his life as he comes to term with his own sexuality. Last year, Matheson unexpectedly divorced his wife and earlier this month he revealed to the world that he is attracted to men.

Matheson made a lengthy post on his Facebook page, where he announced this new chapter in his life...

ETA: - Apparently this story is from Jan of this year.. but still fascinating

2. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

I am no physiotherapist, but there does seem to be a few (not majority) of people opposed to homosexuality that struggle with their own sexual identity. Rather than facing it, they seem to attack the lifestyle they are struggling with. I hope he apologies to those he harmed during the "conversions" including the parents whom he led to believe there is a way to "fix" it.

3. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

His apology (on FB) seemed to be "light" on accountability. Many think it wasn't enough.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

5. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I think we have our new DNC frontrunner. He has all the qualifications required by the far left.

6. raqball macrumors 68000

Gonna need to hear his views on flatulent cows and free, free, free 1st....... :eek: :p

7. rhett7660 macrumors G5

rhett7660

I almost spit out my coffee when I read this... This is freaking funny!

8. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

I grew up in a Southern state during the 1970's and 80's among many religious conservatives (my family and most of my friends were liberal though). My parents had gay friends, and I had gay friends by the time I was 14 or 15 (although two of my closest friends waited until they graduated from high school to come out). We lived in the city, where it was possible for gay people to find more acceptance (but far from total). By the time I was in my 20's i knew a lot of non-hetero and non-cisgender people who moved to the city because they just couldn't find acceptance in the small town where they grew up. If you live in a small town where homosexuality is demonized by the local churches, you either move or you deny (or at least hide) your sexuality. Expressing it can be dangerous.

I believe all these conversion therapy camps do is brainwash you into believing you are someone you are not. I'm sure there are some who say they were "cured" and have gone on to have successful hetero marriages, but they were probably bisexual to begin with. Some desperately want to accept the brain-washing, because they live in a society where being themselves is not an option. Even in the city where I grew up I heard homophobic jokes and slurs all the time. I knew people who hated homosexuals and thought there wasn't anything worse. Being gay in such places in the 1980's or earlier meant putting yourself at great risk of physical harm. It's not surprising to me that someone might grow up in this environment and do everything they can to suppress any homosexual urges, but they will always be afraid of being discovered and outed. That leads them to acting out against homosexuality because they are so frustrated and bitter about their own feelings... feelings that they have been taught are unnatural and put into their heads by Satan.

I guess this isn't the first time a snake-oil salesman turned out to be just the opposite of the image he projected. I'd like to think that stories like this will expose conversion therapy as fraudulent and abusive, but the believers out there will just say Matheson is weak and lost his faith... or that he was possessed by Satan.

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While one may tend to get a bit of schadenfreude out of this story. I can't help but to think of all the pain that Mr. Matheson has caused. He admits that his "therapy" has caused pain in people, and knows how flawed it actually is from his own personal struggles. I would hope that he will begin to comprehend the amount of damage he caused in the lives of his patients and his family, and work towards promoting acceptance of the LGBTQ community.

10. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I’ve found most people who fiercely oppose homosexuality are fighting inner tendencies lol. Those who believe in conversion therapy are just suppressing it psychologically as it doesn’t work.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

12. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Have you seen the way he looks at Trump? “Silver and gold go together so well”

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's time that Mike and Lindsey got together and came out together for moral support.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Contillion!

15. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Prom?

16. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It does not seem to be that unusual in conservative circles where vehement criticizers of LGBT, turn out to gay themselves. Self loathing indeed.