iMac Pro Promise Pegasus3 R4 connecting to my iMac Pro tomorrow ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bxs, Feb 15, 2018.

1. bxs macrumors 6502a

Subject: Promise Pegasus3 R4 connecting to my iMac Pro tomorrow ?

I sprung for the Promise Valentine's Day discount and order myself a Promise Pegasus3 R4 (16TB).

I already have a really ancient Pegasus1 R4 and a not so ancient Pegasus2 R6 and they have behaved very well for me.

I've chatted with Promise today and asked if this Promise Pegasus3 R4 (16TB) will behave well with my new iMP and the response was it should. They did say to update my Promise Utility to the latest version, which have done so.

If anyone has any of the Pegasus3 units how say you ? Thanks... :)

2. bxs, Feb 17, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2018

bxs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Received my Peg3 R4 16TB unit today. I left it for 5 hrs to synchronize and then put it through a few performance test. Woweee, it screams as a RAID0 and even when setup as RAID5 it's no slouch either.

I connected it to my iMP's TB3 Port #4 all by it's lonesome... :p

AJA display for the Pegasus3 R4 setup as RAID0 across the 4x 4TB Toshiba disks. This is with Command Queuing, read-look-ahead and write caching configuration. The actual disk rates are just below 200 MB/s.

1st attached image below is for RAID0
    2nd attached image below is for RAID5

Attached Files:

3. bxs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have done a few more tests comparing my TB2 Pegasus2 R6 (6x 2TB Toshiba disks) and my new Pegasus3 R4 (4x 4TB Toshiba disks).

Both Pegasus units connect to their own Thunderbolt bus on my iMac Pro. The Pegasus2 R6 unit being a Thunderbolt 2 device means I have to use the Apple USB-C TB3 -to- TB2 adaptor whereas for the Pegasus3 R4 I use a TB3 cable with no adapter required.

Both are configured in RAID-0 format.

I used AJA version 2.1.

Attached Files:

4. albertjs macrumors newbie

I recently bough an iMac Pro and a Pegasus3 R8 32tb and set it up in RAID0 but in my tests using AJA I only get 1200mb/s read and 1345mb/s write...

Can you please let me know how can I get more speed? Am I doing something wrong with the set up?

THANKS IN ADVANCE :)