Promise you won't laugh -- Bush to spur Middle East peace talks

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Plain Dealer

Yes, I know heads of state initiate this kind of process, but the only way I could kinda-sorta-almost see this working is if Bush were simply tossing the ball to Condi Rice. She's no Jimmy Carter, but she's at least brighter than her boss.

Yet, however belatedly, Dubya is planning on jump-starting this thing himself. And once you figure out a way to wrap your mind around the idea of Bush as a peace negotiator, the next question inevitably is: Isn't this a lot like Inspector Clouseau trying to defuse a bomb?

There's only one word for why Bush is getting involved in this now, seven years too late: LEGACY. And I really don't see much coming of this.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If he was able to pull it off and of course he won't, he's muddled the waters too much for anyone to trust him, he would be able to salvage his legacy.

The only question is, how much will it cost?

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Wasn't this the meeting everyone was talking about but no one was really sure when or where it was, or really anything else about it, including Bush's own staff?

Yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Success comes in many forms. Get something on paper, no matter how unworkable, call it a diplomatic triumph, have a nice ceremony and a photo-op, then drop the entire mess on the doorstep of the next administration.

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

BushCo leaves the party with having nothing to run on except for making the Oil companys Rich. This is a attempt to steer focus somewhere else. $28 Oil when the draft dodgers took over and now $100. Why didnt these Corporate Pawns do this 6 years ago? To busy getting us into a needless war? To busy Outing out CIA agents then pardoning Libbey? meanwhile two boarder agents sit in jail and Bushco does nothing.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I can't promise not to laugh. I'm sure that's what the Palestinians will be doing.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

And the Israelis, and the Jordanians, and the Lebanese, and the Egyptians, and the Syrians.

The fact is, from day one of the Bush administration a policy was in place to not sacrifice any of the administration's precious prestige on trying to solve the intractable Arab-Israeli conflict. This was all a part of their plan to be the anti-Clinton. Now after seven years of trying mightily to ignore the situation, and only making it far worse by invading Iraq, they've decided that they can't leave office without at least having made an effort, however token and however tardy. This is why I predict they will now try with equal might to salvage something, so they'll have some piece of paper to wave around to show that they really cared. It's all about escaping blame -- which if you think about it, is an analogy for the entire Bush administration, from start to finish, from top to bottom.

8. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This is the problem. No one in the middle so America swings like a pendulam between both partys and other countrys have a hard time keeping up with such a changing policy. But one thing is clear and thats both are selling us out.