Proof that conservatives and liberals can get along

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Oct 3, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

And Tennessee is there they are meeting.

While any state seriously floating secession would get get the hammer dropped on them in minutes, the quantity of noise they are making is surprising.

Now that I think about it - if a state really wanted to get troops home, this wouldn't be a bad idea...

2. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I wonder how the Vermont Dollar would compare to the US Dollar?

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I've been saying we should let the south secede for a long time.

BTW- this is hardly about the left and right getting along. It's about them agreeing to separate. How is that a good thing?

4. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeah, I know - but it made for a catchy title. Plus, the fact that these two groups are willing to work together is comical in light of the moderate left and right squabbling like toddlers fighting over a Mr. Potato Head.

The only good that could come of this fruiting is we would pull out of the rest of the world so fast to take care of this mess, (I'm out of analogies).

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

If there is one state that needs/have every reason to secede, it's Hawaii.

What the white sugar-barons did do that country and the natives is appalling. We have built resorts over their sacred burial grounds, and pretty much turned their entire country into a tourist-trap state.

6. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Just because mommy and daddy are fighting doesn't mean they love you any less.

Except for you, Florida. You're a disappointment to us both.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Interesting idea to have a couple beers debating, but unlikely to happen. How long would it take for another big state to feast on Rhode island? How would we divide up the Nukes? Who gets the Navy, surely not Nebraska? Can you imagine how long it would take to drive across the Ununited States?

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd like to see them try.

Most of our money comes from the West and North East.

9. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

If states like Tennessee and other Southern states did succeed, the rest of America would probably become a lot more progressive. The South is the most Conservative area in the US so therefore if we lost them, it probably wouldn't be a bad thing. BTW, they wouldn't last long on their own. As soon as the Federal aid stopped, their "nation" would collapse in no time.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd hardly shed a tear.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Surely proportionally no longer than to drive across the distinct nation states that make up the European Union. A customs union and trading bloc based on the EU (but without its less democratic side and expensive bureaucracy) would be the perfect way forward. You could even keep a single currency.

....or even adopt one that isn't in the toilet. Canadian dollars anyone? :D

Yet bizarrely they were desperate for the British Empire to do the typical rape and pillage thing before they joined the USA, even adding the Union Flag to their own to try and tempt us in.

12. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I think it's the idea of people willing to support a secession in their state, to get a way from increasingly intrusive and overbearing gov't policy, is the idea they are trying to get across.

It's not a bad idea, either.

13. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

'succeed' or 'secede'? I guess they both work in this case - succeed at seceding...

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Where does Tennessee stand in regards to education quality and overall health? Is Tennessee a net recipient or net contributor of federal taxes?

Personally, if it weren't for FedEx, TN wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Before the talk secession, maybe they better get their own house in order.

15. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Where does the entire US stand in regards to health and education quality?

I agree there is a problem, but I don't think its root is in TN.

Time and time again Federal services have failed to impress, yet we keep deprecated facilities/policies going. Perhaps a new system, without a federal bureaucracy, might do TN (or any state, for that matter) some good.

16. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

Why are we discussing TN? I think they got picked as a location for discussion because of their central location. Most of the folks at the meetings seems to be from the coastal South and VT.