Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
I made a picture to prove the iPad in the press invite is not an iPad 2 (or iPad 1)

http://i.imgur.com/BhhBQ.jpg

Hopefully, this will settle the debate. The home button is not photoshopped out because Apple would never condone false advertising. But good for you for thinking out of the box.

MXSkier62

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
You can't use the lack of a home button as a way to enhance your argument. What if the iPad is being held upside down? Or since it's likely photoshopped, and don't want to reveal anything, perhaps they removed the camera or home button if there is indeed a change to hide this fact.

falcora

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2011
I think the OP has something. I've read several similar investigations on this invitations, and they all point to the lack of a home button or camera in this image. We know it is in the portrait orientation, but there is no home button or front facing camera to be found.

I think Apple is giving us a clue to lack of home button.

Fry-man22

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
We will see in a few days, but personally I think the OP's thread will just end up proving he wasted time on nothing, there is no clue, and we will all be clicking the same home button on the iPad 3.

Apple already did capacitive buttons, like the 3rd gen iPod. They were replaced with a tactile button combined with a touch navigation.

ExcitedByNoise

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2010
Potentially it's a slightly different background because it would have to be a higher resolution image. Granted, they could have just used the same one at higher res.

But seriously, it's going to have a home button.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
It could just be that putting 1/2 a home button in the image would have looked funky. I wouldn't put Apple past editing out a home button for posterity's sake.

MyiBill

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
We will see in a few days, but personally I think the OP's thread will just end up proving he wasted time on nothing, there is no clue, and we will all be clicking the same home button on the iPad 3.

Apple already did capacitive buttons, like the 3rd gen iPod. They were replaced with a tactile button combined with a touch navigation.

Actually there has been clues in past invitations, last years iPad event invite teased the smart cover.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
Last years invite used a first gen iPad. You guys are reading too much into it. Apple never shows the next gen product in the invite. Period.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
What's your explanation for the droplets on the top left of the icon not lining up?

xlarge.jpg

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I'm not at all convinced the pictured iPad is the iPad 3. The iPad 2 invite featured the original iPad, not an iPad 2.

By the way. Am I the only one sick of the iPhone/iPad wallpaper?

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Weather or not the OP is right or wrong, I'd like to add, I love the fact that hysteria is still caused by an Apple launch without Jobs at the helm.

Great work Apple. You have sufficiently got me excited about this launch!!

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Maybe...just maybe...I mean bear with me here:

Apple just photoshopped out the home button in the invite because they thought it would look more sleek? Or because they thought including it would draw away from the invites main focus (the screen, the place, date, and keynote). It's not unheard of for companies to alter the picture in advertising to make it look better.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Maybe...just maybe...I mean bear with me here:

Apple just photoshopped out the home button in the invite because they thought it would look more sleek? Or because they thought including it would draw away from the invites main focus (the screen, the place, date, and keynote). It's not unheard of for companies to alter the picture in advertising to make it look better.

There is no way Apple would photoshop out a main feature such as the home button. It would be like them admitting its a bit crap and we wish it wasn't there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.