Prop 8 proponents seek to nullify ALL same-sex marriages [UPDATED]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Dec 19, 2008.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

LINK

Those ****ing bastards!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

UPDATE

Calif. AG urges court to void gay marriage ban​

LINK

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They won't rest until Christianity is law

And by Christianity, I mean only their one view of it

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Of course, don't you know their lives have been utter hell since those people have been married??? :rolleyes:

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This is a new low.

Not just for the fact that they are trying to take away something that not only a right long fought for and won, but take away a precious thing that very few people have.

In particular, Phyllis Lyon is already (unfortunately :( ) a widow. She's already lost enough, and now they want to take away what little memory of a marriage she had with Del?

That is absolutely pathetic and makes me sick. Prop 8 supporters' "belief" has absolutely nothing to do with this now, as it is completely secular and has nothing to do with religion.

Slightly less pathetic is that they're bringing Ken Starr into this. That toad needs to shrivel up like Voldemort and croak.

BL.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If only these people loved their country as much as they love the missionary position.... :rolleyes:

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

America - The land of the outrageously ignorant.

WHY is it that a majority vote can take away the rights of the minority??

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The problem primarily is that we don't enshrine freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation (or for that matter sex itself) in the US Constitution... if we did, it would make a lot of this nonsense much more difficult... we need to make those changes.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Changing the constitution to allow more freedoms?!?! :eek:

Your one of them libruls arent cha? :p

If that is what it would take to protect people legally from such discriminations, so be it, im all for it.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Thses people took the gloves off when they voted for this proposition. Now the gloves aren't even in the room! Anybody here who even tries to tell me that these people are simply "acting on their beliefs" no longer has my ear. This is vindictive and nasty at best. They want a holy war, let's give it to 'em. :mad:

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

+1

This has nothing to do with anything other than discriminating and taking away from gays. (hopefully i dont get in trouble for this but it has to be said) ANYONE that is supporting THIS, is a complete jackass, theres no two ways about it.

11. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Well, if they are going to do this, it's only fair to enslave African-Americans again.:rolleyes:

:mad:

For the first time in my life, I actually feel... hated. :(

12. ipodtoucher macrumors 68000

ipodtoucher

I propose that every channel in the US play For The Bible Tells Me So for a constant 24 hours. Have you seen this, it is so amazing.

This won't go through, I don't think (hope). The state government stated when Prop 8 was passed that the marriages will not be nullified. Please tell me you knew this was going to happen, I knew from the day it passed. You know that people are ignorant, and you can't change that.

It deeply saddens me I really thought America was starting to be a different place..... Who's with me to move to Britain!! :p

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Honestly, I don't see how Prop 8 can be upheld while still preserving the same-sex marriages performed before its passage. It very explicitly states that no same-sex marriage is valid or recognized; you can't enact only part of a law, nor implement it in a way that contradicts its clear purpose.

It would be completely illogical to uphold marriages that a law explicitly nullified. I'd love to interject my personal beliefs in support of these marriages, but then I'd be just as bad as the opposition.

Just another reason why Prop 8 should be immediately invalidated. Plus, if the courts address Prop 8 from an "all or nothing" point of view (as they should), I feel the chance is higher that they will invalidate it completely.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I have to agree; there really is no easy way to parse it.

The more time passes though, the more convinced I am that the Court will send Prop 8 to the Legislature.

I think 3 of the 4 that were in the majority are already in the bag; Kennard remains unknown since she did dissent when they voted for review, but that could mean anything since there was no reason given.

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

As far as I'm concerned this is treason against the Constitution. :mad:

I dare you anti gay marriage aholes to come in here and defend this crap.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Give them time, they will. I've had it with this s***! This is hatred, pure and simple. There is absolutely no way to look at this from any other perspective at this point. Oh but, I forgot, we're supposed to be all nice now. :rolleyes: Because ya know, they'll come around if we're just nice. BS! We've tried nice for decades.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lee, im honestly suprised you always maintain such a composure. If it were me in your position, especially in my current state ( im hammered), i woudnt be able to stay so calm. Id raise hell.

Kudos to you man, youll get your day.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm honestly getting really sick of this crap. I don't think I'm that composed at all, to tell the truth. I'm pretty damn fired up right now. I also find it very interesting that a lot of people in this forum seem to think we should just ignore the Warren thing too. It's made even worse by this announcement. I'm sorry, they have stepped over the line for the last time. No one better even dare come in here and tell me that we shouldn't be completely outraged right now. There is a time for diplomacy, and a time for action. There will never be any reasoning with these people, as they have clearly shown. They have backed us into a corner and we're going to have to fight our way out of it. This has gone far enough.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lee you have a good point. Now I have no idea what movie Im quoting seeing as it was before my time (im 17).

"first you need to get off your ass AND YOU NEED TO GET ANGRY. thats the only way things are ever going to change."

Im not saying violence is what is needed, im a peacenick to the core, but we really need to start a fire under some asses if things in this country are going to improve.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed on all points. If we don't look this monster straight in the eye right now and fight like hell, we're going to be very sorry. It's got to stop here.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Lee, im sorry to say that there is no way this is going to stop here, but like all movements, the seeds are being planted as we speak.

It will be my generation that will overthrow these ridiculous shackles, rest assured. My only frustration is that great people such as yourself actually have to live through being oppressed until then. I know its meaningless but you have my deepest sympathies.

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Perhaps what I should have said was that we need to stop putting up with this stuff now. It is no longer acceptable to me that we sit back and take this crap. No more. It is no longer acceptable to say that because people have certain beliefs that they are excused from the label "bigot", especially when the facts negate those beliefs. That's what it is, and that's what it needs to be called until this battle has been won.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

basically we need to stop with the "they get a pass because its their beleifs" mentality. So what if its their beleive, its still hateful at its core and discriminatory and should be spoken out against.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. Other people's beliefs should not have any bearing on the rights of others. I'm tired of people saying they should. I'm absolutely sick to death of it.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But, but their books say its wrooong! :rolleyes:

Anyway, srry for the inflamitory talk tonight lee, but at least you got to vent a little.

I have to finally sleep now, its 4 am.

night.