Propaganda from my "union"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SLC Flyfishing, Jan 13, 2017.

1. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

want to know what to say to your family members who support a repeal of the ACA? CIR has your back, and will feed you the talking points you need to destroy your own family members. Because getting into a political fight is what thanksgiving (with a liberal) is all about.

http://www.cirseiu.org/how-to-survive-thanksgiving-dinner-with-an-obamacare-hater-relative/

One thing's for certain, my "union" certainly doesn't represent me!

I also got this little gem in my email today.

http://cir.seiu.org/page/s/oak-womens-march

I especially like the last sentence:
    This rally needs as many people in Doctor coats as possible. Something to help lend it some credibility is what I'm guessing.

2. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Aren't you a physician? I'm not sure if our Docs are union here, I know our nurses are.

3. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I'm a resident physician. Have my MD, but I'm still 1.5 years from an unrestricted license to practice completely solo.

Fully licensed physicians are generally prohibited from unionizing. Can't have a group of people with that kind of power organizing and advocating for themselves you know!

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ah okay. Do you have to be part of that union or does it just benefit you in your residency? You seem off politically for being a physician, I know a lot of surgeons and they tend to lean left except the one I know that owns a gun shop.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Was your union as vocal in regards to the presidential election?
    I work with many different construction unions and almost every one I talked to said that the union shops were a whole lot less involved this year.

9. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Honestly, today was the first I've ever heard from them. I knew we had a Union, but I've never had any real interaction with it TBH.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    My field is just slightly above the mean for red vs blue. But still more blue than red.

Interestingly enough, that chart is almost perfectly aligned in terms of salaries/field competitiveness too. With the more lucrative and more competitive fields at the top (i.e. More red). By competitive, I mean difficult for a medical student to obtain residency in (need good grades and med school performance to get into them).

10. Herdfan, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

Herdfan macrumors 6502

Speaking of union propaganda. When I was in college I got a job working the loading docks of a major freight carrier. Great college job as if you wanted to work you called in at 10pm and if they needed you they said to come on in by midnight. If you didn't want to work, you didn't call.

It was in a RTW state so I didn't think much about joining the Teamsters. The union rep would pester me but I basically ignored him. But after a while when I called, they didn't need me, but my buddy who would call after me was needed. Found out it was because I wouldn't join. Well the money was too good to pass up so I joined.

Soon I was getting union propaganda in the mail. One was a letter telling us not to drink Coors beer because it was cold-filtered, not heat pasturized and was not safe. Safety wasn't an issue, it was because Coors broke the union several years earlier. I ignored it and went about my business.

I wasn't 3 months later that Miller (a unionized company) introduced Miller Genuine Draft, a cold-filtered beer. LOL.

11. SusanK macrumors 68000

Don't want a doc with a bigmouthed blowhard union boss dictating practice standards. Thank goodness for licensing authorities.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Men in brown? I did one of the walk throughs in college while I was looking for part time work. Saw that the loaders were sweating in the winter while not in a temperature controlled climate and decided that I would find something easier. :D

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm a PharmD and not in a union, though it's something a lot in my industry are pushing for. Generally Pharmscists are the most apathetic group of professionals I've ever seen though. Most have been trampled by insurers and large retail chains and brainwashed into thinking "it's just the way it is".

I work at a psychiatric hospital, which is largely comprised of very expensive private pay programs. On the one hand many docs and healthcare professionals simply don't seem to care. At the same time, there is a lot of concern of the defunding of Medicaid and further reduction of access to mental healthcare due to govt policy.

14. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Ryder P.I.E/P.I.E.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

16. SLC Flyfishing thread starter Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Probably written by jealous psychiatrists.

17. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

[​IMG]