Proper Partitioning

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Would I have any problems running Jaguar if I partition the 120GB hard drive after formatting into two drives.

I would have one drive have 100GB and store any personal files there and leave the rest (at least 10GB) to run 10.2 and leave all applications there.

Will I suffer from performance loss if my boot drive doesnt have tons of free GBs?

If the 120GB hard drive crashes or I am forced to reinstall an OS will the personal files saved on the larger 100GB drive still be intact?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm going to partition this weekend. i don't know about loss of performance if you don't have lots of spare GB's on your OS X partition, but i'm making mine about 6GB.

if the OS crashes, and it is a seperate partition, your documents on the second partition should be fine. at least i hope so, that's the only reason i'm going to all this trouble with partitioning.:rolleyes: :D

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i'd like to keep my docs and whatnot off the os x partition.... but the home directory makes it tough... is there a way to redirect itunes and iphoto and such to other areas?

has anyone found a good way to get around the home directory being used for everything?

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
Itunes has is folder selection in the command+Y (preferences) then click on advanced, then choose folder.

I think iPhoto does the same

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
i'd like to keep my docs and whatnot off the os x partition.... but the home directory makes it tough... is there a way to redirect itunes and iphoto and such to other areas?

has anyone found a good way to get around the home directory being used for everything?
move your home directory to another partition and leave an alias in its place (need root)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

move your home directory to another partition and leave an alias in its place (need root)
thanks, ignore my question in the other thread then.... as i'mm guessing it'd be the same?

if it's not, then respond. :p

i'll try it and report back....

iphoto doesn't have the folder selection option... that's what i was thinking of when i said itunes... word

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Re: Proper Partitioning

Originally posted by TyleRomeo
Would I have any problems running Jaguar if I partition the 120GB hard drive after formatting into two drives.

I would have one drive have 100GB and store any personal files there and leave the rest (at least 10GB) to run 10.2 and leave all applications there.

Will I suffer from performance loss if my boot drive doesnt have tons of free GBs?

If the 120GB hard drive crashes or I am forced to reinstall an OS will the personal files saved on the larger 100GB drive still be intact?
just make chure you have at least about 400-1000 mbs free on the drive in which you are installing x..

good luck!

-f

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Re: Proper Partitioning

Originally posted by firewire2001

just make chure you have at least about 400-1000 mbs free on the drive in which you are installing x..

good luck!

-f
that wont be a problem. my main reason for doing a partition is so incase something does happen where i have to reinstall an OS i wont lose all my personal files on the larger partition. If the dual 1.25 comes with a 120GB drive, Im guessing after formatting and having all the preinstall software (including OSX.2) I will have about 110GB left. So to make a nice even numbers I would make my personal file partition (mp3s, FCP stuff, ect) 100GB which should last for a while. Then I would take the roughly 10GB left over and have all apps, extenstions, OSX and whatever else is just computer stuff that I dont value and have on restore CDs.

So basically the 120GB drive becomes one 15GB boot drive with apps and 100GB for anything I actually value.

tyler