Proposed Amendment to Guarantee the Right to Vote

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xShane, Jun 4, 2013.

1. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

http://news.yahoo.com/two-congressmen-insist-aren-t-guaranteed-vote-100210713.html

This is an interesting proposal that would explicitly guarantee the right to vote (even though many other amendment address it).

I'd like to hear what all sides of the political spectrum have to say about this. :)

2. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Nope.

For one thing, felons shouldn't be allowed to vote but your amendment doesn't state that.

Plus, you make no provisions for voter IDs, which should be a requirement given the voter fraud that went on in 2012 (and that's not even counting the election fraud perpetrated by the IRS!).

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Source?

What are you talking about?

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Why? Are they deprived of other rights, apart from liberty?

What voter fraud in 2012? Talk about a sore loser.

Read Snopes before you answer this question, instead of filling this forum with your usual blowhard nonsense.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I think that he means that "Jeb Bush" wasn't allowed to count the votes.:p

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yes. They can't own any weapons in contrast to the second amendment for starters

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good point. Although that's kinda understandable on operational grounds. Not sure why prisoners should be barred from voting, to be honest... so I don't have a problem with it, in the slightest.

Prisoners can't vote in the UK, either... but there's an ongoing tussle between the UK government and the European Court of Human Rights over this. The situation across Europe varies from country to country it seems. For instance:

8. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's the problem with being a felon, it's a lifelong sentence. In my opinion, if someone steals a bunch of cars, gets caught, and spends a couple year in prison, they've paid their debt to society, and should be allowed to reintegrate completely over time without having any marks placed against them.

The way things are set up now, once you're convicted, you're screwed until the day you die. It's hard to get a job, you can't vote, can't own weapons. You're a second class citizen, with almost zero chance to move up in society. This isn't the way the system should work.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Felons can often petition to have their voting rights restored:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement
    As of 2011, only two states, Kentucky and Virginia, continue to impose a lifelong denial of the right to vote to all citizens with a felony record, absent some extraordinary intervention by the Governor or state legislature.[15] However, in Kentucky, a felon's rights can now be restored after the completion of a restoration process to regain civil rights.[15] ... In March 2011, however, Republican Governor Rick Scott reversed the 2007 reforms, making Florida the state with the most punitive law in terms of disenfranchising citizens with past felony convictions.[16] ...​
    The laws about this appear to vary by State. So a felon who moves to another State may fall under different rules. It's unclear to me if a felon who moves to a new State, has his rights restored, then moves to another State where felons don't have restorable rights would fall under the full faith and credit clause of the Constitution. The felon's rights were restored in the prior State of residence. That seems to me to fall under "public act, record, or judicial proceeding".

10. xShane thread starter macrumors 6502a

xShane

Does that mean incarcerating a disproportionate amount of blacks to deprive them of their voting rights?

---

Seems like just another way to keep people from voting... Are you sure you don't want to impose some more literacy tests along with poll taxes while you're implementing some voter IDs?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You keep going on about this, but haven't produced a shred of evidence that supports it.:rolleyes:

So, I'll ask again: Please provide a source for your claim that blacks are incarcerated in order to keep them from voting.

12. DUCKofD3ATH, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013

DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

How about an example:

Conservative activist James O’Keefe released a new undercover video Wednesday apparently showing a Democratic congressman’s son giving advice on how to commit voter fraud.

In the video, a man identified as Patrick Moran, son of Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) and the field director for his re-election campaign, is asked by an undercover operative how best to vote in the names of 100 inactive voters he has on a list.

“There are 100 people who don’t vote,” the male videographer says in the footage, said to have been recorded in Arlington, Va. on Oct. 8. “He’s got a van and he and me were going to go around –”

​UPDATE:​ Patrick Moran has resigned from his position with his father’s re-election campaign.​

Source

By the way, more than 2.75 million people have registrations in more than one state, so if we had a Patrick Moran in each those states, voters would get to vote early and often!

Haven't you been paying attention to the IRS scandals in which they prevented Conservative political groups from getting tax exempt status and used chillingly invasive tactics to keep them from becoming politically active? That's our own government using its power to keep Conservatives from being able to organize and educate Conservative voters:

Leaders of conservative groups targeted for extra scrutiny by the Internal Revenue Service testified Tuesday on Capitol Hill about the “chilling” demands from the agency as they sought tax exempt status over the last several years.

The organizer of an educational group called Linchpins of Liberty said the IRS wanted the names of all his students, many of whom are minors.

The organizer of a tea party group said the IRS requested copies of all their communications with legislators.

The organizer of a pro-life group said an IRS official even asked the group to pledge not to picket the pro-abortion organization Planned Parenthood if they wanted their application to go through.

“The questions were chilling,” said Becky Gerritson of the Wetumpka Tea Party, while testifying before the House Ways and Means Committee. “I was shocked that I was getting those questions.”​

Source

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Currently they can't vote and that ban is Constitutional:

Unlike most other laws that burden the right of citizens to vote based on some form of social status, felony disenfranchisement laws have been held to be constitutional.​

Source

Already covered the fraud in a previous post. As for "sore loser", I'm just making a point. I accept that Obama won and am not being a crybaby like Liberals and Democrats were after they failed to steal the 2000 election.

----------

Don't you mean the Democrat-friendly Florida Supreme Court?

14. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

There's a joke in here somewhere...

15. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Really, it's not too much to ask that voters not have committed major crimes before exercising the franchise is it?

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Not a joke, just an oxymoron. He used "conservative" and "educate" in the same sentence.

17. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

You're actually in favor of such a racist law? That's really awful.

---

If you can't be bothered to obtain a voter's ID, you don't care enough about the right of franchise to exercise it properly.

"Literacy test"? What a great idea!

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It is clear that the criminal justice system is skewed against African Americans. The rates of arrest, conviction, incarceration, length of sentence, etc. are far, far worse for African Americans than for caucasions, despite a similar rate of drug addiction and criminal activity. (I was a public defender, I saw this firsthand).

19. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I think the request for a source was related to the statement that the skew is in direct result of an attempt to disenfranchise.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yes, and considering the second source I posted, it's clear that the skew is being used as a way to disenfranchise.

21. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

Causation/correlation?

You may see it as "clear", but that's not really a source, is it?

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really? So, if I point you to different mandetory minimums for crack vs. cocaine and studies that show that crack convictions typically involve black defendants, that wouldn't mean anything? There are hundreds of studies that show how the criminal justice system treats blacks, whites, hispanics, etc. differently. On top of that, you have evidence that Florida manipulated its voter purge to eliminate black voters, but not hispanic.

What are you looking for? A secret memo from someone in the GOP that says we need to change the laws and create a vast conspiracy to throw more blacks in prison so we can keep them from voting?

When you have a disproportionate amount of blacks being imprisoned, the mere act of excluding felons from the voting roles is an attempt to disenfranchise one group of people more than another. There is no other way to look at it.

23. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

And again, it's all well and good that you're putting the pieces of the puzzle together yourself, but there has yet to be a source provided that a disproportionate number of black citizens are being incarcerated specifically to prevent them from voting.

Does such a "secret memo" exist? Probably not. But, short of that, there's not much in the way of a source that can be cited.

24. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh good lord, that's just silly. The laws preventing felons from voting were enacted AFTER the laws that disproportionately disenfranchise black voters. In other words, the criminal justice system alone has its issues, but the voter purge laws are taking advantage of that in an effort to disporportionately disenfranchise minorities.

I guarantee you that if the system were reversed and primarily conservative voters were being incarcerated, the voter purge laws wouldn't have been pushed by the GOP in the red states/swing states.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/u...times-as-likely-for-blacks.html?smid=tw-share