Proposed Bill would allow Arizona to Ignore Federal Laws

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I don't even know where to begin on this. I'll just post the link and story.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...on-would-allow-arizona-to-ignore-federal-laws

As some of the comments at NPR have said, apparently this legislator in Arizona is completely oblivious to Article VI:

I honestly do not have any idea what those in Arizona are thinking...

BL.

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Looks like we will need a military presence in Arizona after the health care law goes into full effect and gay marriage gets federally legalized through the supreme court. Oh well, it's like the 1960's all over again when we had to force the south to integrate. And looking back at it, was it a good thing? Hell yes it was.

3. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Hoping this is just a political move to put pressure on the Federal govt. Otherwise Arizona officially has the dumbest politicians in the country.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think Arizona politicians took that mantle quite some time ago.

May I suggest the new official tree of Arizona?

[​IMG]

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Isn't that Sideshow Bob?
    [​IMG]

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

sounds like standard political BS move. They know it would never hold up but it looks good to the voters in the area.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Just for the record, I didn't vote for any of these idiots.

8. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Maybe they don't understand "notwithstanding." I can't say I fully did until I looked it up for clarification.

But, yeah... This:

9. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Arizona...the new Texas.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The bill makes reference to the powers granted to federal government many times... Reading it must be too difficult. They are drawing a line in the sand. The federal government has long abused and stretched their powers and are overstepping in many areas.

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Then they need to take it to the Supreme Court if that's what they believe. Obviously, not all Americans share your expatriate viewpoint.

12. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

They should have thought of this contingency a century ago when they were aching to become a State of the Union. Too late now.

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I understand they are also working on repealing the law of gravity.

Apologists for laws like this one almost invariably quote ideas of Jefferson and Madison in support of their questionable goals, without mentioning that those ideas were rejected by their contemporaries and historically have been used to justify secessionist movements like the one that led to the Civil War.

Does Arizona really want to go there?

14. bradl thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Agreed. Article VI existed 123 years before Arizona joined the US. This proposed law also has the potential to violate the 14th Amendment as well. Article VI has been proven in court many times, as well as the 14th. So either way, this would get struck down severely.

Like I said.. I really don't know what AZ is thinking.

BL.

15. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

So they're also ending acceptance of all federal dollars, right? They're one of the 32 states (#21) that break even on taxes paid/aid received.

It's like a kid having a temper tantrum, then demanding their allowance.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They do far better than break even. The get $1.19 back for every dollar they send. Friggin' welfare states. :rolleyes:

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

This is why a President should not appoint someone from a position of power to a federal post when they will be replaced by someone from the opposite party. Especially if the person is a complete nutcase. Janet Napolitano may have been a great candidate for Homeland Security, but unless she has the power to magically stop all terrorism, appointing her was not worth giving control of Arizona over to a loon.

18. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

The people who wrote this know that it has little to no chance of actually surviving any SC challenge

That seems to be the way of the GOP

Repeal Health Care knowing 0% chance of ever being repealed
    Passing laws knowing 0% chance of survival

Being "cool" and making extremists happy with words seems to be how Republicans are getting things done these days

I am still waiting on the $100B in cuts they promised

Of course, their long-term billions of cuts never included actual cuts but simply made drastic cuts to future years in which we all know there will never be such large cuts....so no, there were not actual cuts

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If Arizona does not wish to be part of the US, can we please grant their wish? I'm tired of this crap from people like this. You don't want to be a part of the country? LEAVE.

20. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Hush, Lee! Don't let the government of South Carolina hear you. They might get ideas.

So - can anyone explain to me how passing a law that attempts to nullify federal laws is not secession? These people all all patriotic and flag waving Americans...until they're not in power anymore. Then they want to burn it to the ground.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey- whoever wants to leave should. If there's a fund we can donate cash to to help them leave, let's donate.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

The federal government should continue to promote Arizona's slow secession to Mexico.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Arizona's immigration problems would disappear overnight! ;)

24. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Isn't the ability to 'resist' aspects of Federal Government already guaranteed in the founding principles of the US?

25. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Me neither. *headdesk*