Proposed Law That Declares Single Parenthood Child Abuse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 2, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm at a loss for words.

Link

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

seems as that is restricting ones right to procreate

this won't pass and considering 1/3 of parents are single, good luck on your re-election campaign

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I find it shocking that legislators can make uncited assertions such as this in bills. The man is unhinged.

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I don't think this would get past the drawing board in my country, that's beyond comprehensible.

What's next, a ban on divorce, but only for couples with children?

Edit: I wouldn't mind that, though, it'll certainly make people think thrice about getting married...

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

6. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

This is completely UNBELIEVABLE... wait a minute this is a GOPer at work. I believe it. Please Mr Grothman, keep running for the political cliff (and don't stop). :)

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Sorry, it was funny? The fecal hurricane that Wisconsin has become is not something to laugh about, unless you are into schadenfreude.

8. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

9. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

If only they'd qualify deadbeat dads as child abusers without the mother having to file paperwork.

10. leekohler, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012

leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, we'll get a conservative in here any minute who says, "But this is not what we're about!"

You know what? You guys don't say anything about this crap at all.

This IS what the GOP has become. Fix it, or expect ridicule. You've declared war on reasonable people.

11. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Before I joined this forum I would have thought, after reading title either they had made a mistake reporting that item, or they were just making it up. :D

I now know it's Republicans, just being Republicans.:eek:

12. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Its going..

*puts on sunglasses*

Back to the future.

YEEAAHHHH!!!

:D

13. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

When is somebody going to pass a law that says that being raised by conservative extremist parents is child abuse? Now there's a law I can get behind.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This is just an excuse to throw NBA players in jail.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Although this probably is targeted at low income families where do gay people end up on this? They can't get married to start with in most places.

16. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

America in 2506 if the GOP has their way...

Attached Files:

17. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I think the thread title doesn't accurately sum up the bill as I read it.

It says that nonmarital parenthood should be considered "a contributing factor" to abuse and neglect; it doesn't equate the two.

Smoking cigarettes is "a contributing factor" to lung cancer, but not everyone who smokes a cigarette is going to get it.

A diet high in sodium is "a contributing factor" to hypertension, but not everyone who eats a lot of salt has high blood pressure.

I think what they're trying to say is that there's a correlation between single parent families and an increased rate of abuse or neglect. I don't think they're saying that being a single parent is abusing your child.

In any event, I think a resolution like this would be more appropriate coming from a child welfare agency, or a group of doctors or social workers, than from the legislature.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The debate over welfare and single parenthood is long-standing. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a Democrat, comes to mind:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_Moynihan

Unfortunately, Senator Grothman appears to be more interested in partisan controversy than child welfare. For some reason, we can't even discuss the colors Red and Blue today without it elevating into an ugly partisan confrontation.

19. Rampant.A.I., Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

No, they're saying that people become single parents for financial gain, and that single parents are greedy, lazy welfare cases more prone to child abuse than two-parent families.

Single parents make up a third of Wisconsin parents, The Annie E. Casey Foundation reports. And according to a 2009 report from the US Census Bureau, there are approximately 13.7 million single parents across the U.S., with single mothers outpacing single fathers five to one.

Furthermore, it's not only targeting single parents, this law targets non-married parents as being in the same category as Octomom, and the fantasy depiction Conservatives often cite of single mothers as state-funded baby factories. I don't know why the irony of this depiction is so easily lost on the majority of conservatives, but then again, the majority of conservatives are not all that connected to reality in the first place.

SB507 would require the Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board to emphasize that non-marital parenthood is a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect.

Whether you agree with the conclusion or not, he's singling out a 3rd of the population of his state who have decided to raise their children after the father (or in a few cases the mother) has lost interest in their offspring.

Grothman's previous attack on the left wing contended that because social programs are available to the poor, liberals want people to be poor and use them, financial benefits he says are driving the rise in single motherhood among low-income moms.

Again, conservatives blame the woman. "Honey, I think you should disappear and not contribute to the welfare of this child we had together so I can sit home and sponge off the state" is not an accurate depiction of single motherhood.

If you want a more accurate depiction of the mentality behind this legislation:

...But even this falls short. There's no mention of the responsibility of the father, or jailing deadbeat dads for refusing to take care of their offspring. All it focuses on is punishing single mothers for doing exactly what conservatives want to force every woman to do.

20. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Must be a contest to see who's the most out of touch with reality

21. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If that's the case, maybe you could provide us the scientific studies that support this extremist view point?

It's amazing that Americans continually view themselves as somehow separate from the rest of the world.

This USA Today article has a great graph on the percentage of births to single mothers in a number of countries. What's interesting is that the USA is the only country in the top dozen that doesn't provide a solid safety net for young mothers.

Perhaps instead of trying to criminalize young mothers we should criminalize anti-parental legislation.

The problem here isn't single motherhood, it's America's 19th century attitude towards child bearing.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why would I do that? I'm in no better position to make that claim than a politician is; which is why I suggested it might mean more if it came from someone who HAS done the research.

Who's doing that? Nothing in the bill makes any type of parenthood illegal. And not all single parents are young - or mothers.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Will we at least get new episodes of Ow My Balls?

24. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yes and free Brawndo for everyone.
    Brawndo's got what plants crave. They crave brawndo. It's got electrolytes.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.