Proposition 8 - The Musical!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by echeck, Dec 4, 2008.

1. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

This is absolutely hilarious!

Proposition 8 - The Musical!

I think I could turn gay for Neil Patrick Harris. It's his singing voice that gets me every time. (See: Dr. Horrible link)

2. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

they are so full of it. packaging lies in a funny two minute viral video. prop 8 has nothing to do with hate. the prop 8 campaign NEVER made the claim that children would be taught about sodomy. the prop 8 campaign never said anything about biblical teachings or christian values.

this is a video summary of their argument.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zbpDe_QhS0&eurl=http://www.protectmarriage.com/

read their argument:
    http://www.protectmarriage.com/about/why

hit ctrl + F (or apple + f on a mac) and search that page for the word "bible" or "church" and YOU WONT FIND ONE SINGLE MATCH
    Prop 8 opponents need to stop attacking and rebutting arguments that were NEVER MADE.

3. echeck thread starter macrumors 68000

echeck

Wow.

I just thought it was funny.

I think someone needs to push away from the computer for a bit and take a deep breath...

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Are you kidding? I switched teams just for him! :D

5. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well, I haven't seen the video since I'm at work and can't, but I imagine (judging from stevento's response) it has something to do with supporters of Prop. 8 getting tired of being called hateful. It's probably even more offensive to hear in a two-minute "funny" video that makes light of the issue of hate.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I stopped watching after the words "lifestyle choice" seeped their way into the video.

Edit: just watched the rest of it, what a load of complete and utter crap. "will churches be forced to perform same sex marriage? blah blah"

For some reason no one can seem to come up with a reason that doesn't somehow involve their religion or simply being offended by gays, that supports prop 8. Gee I wonder why.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

They never use the word "hate" in the entire video.

I think it's just easier to cry fowl than to admit to one's self that their position on an issue denies something to others. I'm sure it's much less damaging to the psyche that way.

8. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

What I don't get is why supporters of Prop 8 don't see why those who appose it see it as hateful. I mean how can you lovingly take away a civil right?

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Its for the greater good of society of course!

**cult like chanting**
    The Greater Good
    **/cult like chanting**

:rolleyes:

10. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Generally thats probably correct - its very similar to what we that were raised in the LDS church called "lying for the Lord." The end result somehow justifies the method.

11. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Well, it appears then I need to apologize for prematurely defending stevento. That'll teach me to comment on something without seeing it first. :eek:

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You were one of them?:p

Do you agree with prop 8? or do you have different views from your church?

13. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Because those who support Prop. 8 don't agree that marriage to someone of the same sex is a civil right.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

so their perfectly ok with controlling the lives of others in regards to things that in no way shape or form can cause harm to anyone?

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Look, I don't want to debate this. I've done it too many times. My only point is that the gay rights movement will never get anywhere if they just say, "You guys are hateful." It shows ignorance of the debate. And besides, it's never a good idea to start a debate in which you're trying to convince someone you're right with an insult.

16. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's a shame that I don't work in an industry that would profit on their marriage; it seemed to be quite the deal for those in the show. I guess that I'll just have to remain a neutral, merciless, unsympathetic, sinister, indifferent onlooker.

It makes for a great example of the populace of the United States voting with their pocketbooks rather than their own ideals.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:rolleyes:

Yup, ALL the gay rights movement does is say people are homophobic biggots.

I agree with you on what you said, just your idea of the gay rights movement is flawed.

18. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wherever this gay rights movement is that doesn't claim that supporters of Prop. 8 were hateful, it certainly isn't on this board. Just search "prop 8" and "hate" and I'm sure you'll find plenty of examples of calling the passage of Prop. 8 a hateful act. Take, for example, the name of the group the filed a lawsuit against the Mormon Church for allegedly misusing campaign funds: Californians Against Hate. If that's not an insult to those who are against gay marriage, I don't know what is, because if you're not a part of Californians Against Hate and support gay marriage, you must be part of the 52% who are Californians for hate.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just like anti-choice people hate abortion right?;)

labels, nothing but labels.

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Um, what does abortion have anything to do with it? :confused:

And if "hate" is just a label, then I'm sure you wouldn't mind such charged labels being used against yourself. So I guess that's my permission to call anyone "hateful" or a "bigot" whenever I feel like it.

I have a feeling Godwin's going to have to make another law for the internet...

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The abortion thing is to point out that groups tend to label themselves in ways to catch attention. Just like anti-choice people call themselfs "pro-life" in an attempt to cast pro-choicers in bad light, the people you pointed out have used a label to bring attention to the issue. Both instances are equally petty and stupid for itbut at least one side doesnt try to take away the rights of others.

And yes, call me a bigot or hateful all you want, ill laugh at the ignorance of someone who gets enjoyment out of belittling others for nothing. (note that I know you were just providing an example with that and not trying to insult me, the same goes for this post, i admire that you always stay on topic and never stoop to name calling and the like. I also like when you play devils advocate)

Cheers.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Prop 8 supporters may not be intentionally motivated by hate, but that doesn't make their actions any less hateful.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Ah, I see your point now. And thanks for the kind words.

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

np, I have no issues with those of different viewpoints as long as they are respectful and those views aren't ones that would infringe on others.

You mostly play devils advocate correct?

25. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im in the process of leaving the church - in direct relation to Prop 8. I got a letter from the church today saying in 30 days I should get an official letter saying my name has been removed from the church records.