Pros and Cons of fast charging iPhone 6s plus using an iPad charger

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hajime, Dec 30, 2015.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, some users mentioned that one could fast charge the iPhone 6s plus using an iPad charger (2.1A/12W?) What are the pros and cons? How many minutes less if I charge the 6s plus from 0 to 100% using an iPad charger vs. the charger which came with the phone?

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

The iPhone will limit the current it can handle. so use the iPad charger will get you the fastest charge that the phone can handle. It won't hurt anything. it will speed it up a bit not a huge amount.

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. Do I need to get another cable rather than the lighting-usb cable that came with the iPhone 6s plus?

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apple actually specify the charger can be used. The only reason you get a smaller charger is cost, packaging (adds cost) and shipping (weight = higher shipping cost)

6. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Go wild. The iPad charger won't hurt your phone. (Or Apple Watch. Or AppleTV4 remote. Or Pencil.)

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

As I don't have an iPad, I will need to buy the charger. How much faster does it charge? Does the length (1m or 2m) of the cable also affects how long it takes to charge from 0 to 100%?

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

No, the length of the cable doesn't make any difference.

9. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

My own experience has been almost twice as fast. YMMV.

10. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you mean compared with 2m cable, charging is 2x faster using a 1m cable?

11. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

The length of the cable does not matter.

The Apple 12W charger will charge the phone 2.1 times faster than the Apple 5W charger, assuming the iPhone can take a charge that fast. (The iPhone 6 and later will handle it fine. iPhones older than the 6 will limit the charge via circuitry internal to the iPhone. But even in that case, the Apple 12W charger will not harm the iPhone in any way.)

With that said, I remember reading an article somewhere on a tech site where they discussed any negative effects of the heat generated by the 12W charger vs that generated by the 5W charger.

12. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

No, sorry I was referring to the iPad. In my experience, my iPhone charges twice as fast using the iPad charger. Faster still if I put the phone into Airplane mode.