Pros and Cons of having dGPU and external monitor for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yukari, Aug 4, 2016.

1. yukari macrumors regular

I am curious if there is any advantages/disadvantages of having dGPU in 15" MBP to run 2K or 4K external monitor.

Currently I have late 2011 MBP with dGPU, so whenever I hook it up to my 2K monitor, dGPU kicks in.
    I will be upgrading to a new MBP (whenever Apple decides to release with SkyLake or KabyLake CPU) and was wondering if I really need dGPU.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Con:

MBP with dGPU almost always have issue with the dGPU failing, turning the entire laptop into a paperweight.

You should know this since you have a 2011 MBP with dGPU.

3. jerryk macrumors 68020

I got my 2015 with dGPU since I wanted the option of running 2-4K monitors. I currently have 2-2k monitors and have not noticed any ill effects. The fans do not spin up unless I am doing something heavy duty. So for me it has been about potential, with little downside.

Supposedly the new Skylake/KabyLake chip has a better iGPU so maybe you will not need a dGPU. But, like everything from Apple I will reserve judgement until I can read some reviews or try one myself.

4. yukari thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. I did have my logic board replaced once.
    What I'm wondering is can I use 2k or 4K monitor with iGPU and skip dGPU without suffering any performance issue?