Prospective Purchase Help! Buying Today

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sjcaguy, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2003
    Hello! I'm considering the purchase of a new Mac laptop and need some help deciding what to get.

    If it's between a totally maxed-out iBook (max RAM, 60g HD, airport) and a 15'' powerbook that's not maxed out, which one is the best bet? If I deck out the powerbook as i'd like it (SuperDrive + more RAM), the difference between the two machines is about $700.

    I don't do particularly processor-hungry stuff; some photoshop work but that's about it.

    If I get the iBook, I'll get an iPod and think about getting an external DVD burner. If I get the powerbook, no iPod for me.

    Help! (I may be making a purchase today at the Apple store in La Jolla, CA at UTC)
  2. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    just remember that external DVD burner will not work with iApps. you won't be able to use, for example, iDVD.
  3. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2003
  4. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

    Mar 20, 2003
    I would go with the PB; you can always buy the iPod later. RAM can be added later as well. Having an integrated DVD burner can be just that much more convenient.

    Why? Because the iApps only work with Apple hardware, not third party.
  5. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2003
    does the advantage of the super-drive warrant the $700 difference? I'm not being silly here; I'm really quite curious.

    The question is, if I spend that much more am I going to feel obligated to keep the computer that much longer, since it cost so much more?

    Part of the appeal of the iBook is how reasonably priced it is. Even with the bigger HD and 640mb of RAM, it's only 1400.

    But before I leave for the Apple store I'd like to really get some opinions. If using iApps for DVD authoring is not a huge priority (one reason to get a DVD burner is to help "build" my DVD collection with NetFl*x).

    It should also be said I'm a switcher. This is my first Mac since I went to the dark side in '97. Those weren't splendid days for Mac.
  6. Flowbee macrumors 68030


    Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Unless you really have a specific need to author DVD's, I would say stick with the iBook. Most people I know with Superdrives hardly ever use the DVD burning. If you need to back up large files, you'll have the iPod.

    You could actually (cough, chough) *buy* a lot of DVD's with the $700 you'll save.
  7. sjcaguy thread starter macrumors regular

    Nov 24, 2003
    HD size?

    if i'm going to get the 10GB iPod, can i stick with the 40GB HD or should I go with the 60GB? Nothing I'm doing takes up huge amounts of space, and I think the iPod is a good idea for the extra storage in addition to the music.

  8. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

    Mar 20, 2003
    There is more to the PB then just the superdrive. So saying is the SD worth $700 is not a valid question. The PB can handle 2GB of RAM, compared to 640MB on the iBook. The screen is 1” larger; it has twice the cache as the iBook, faster memory, more video memory, larger HD, etc.

    You need to decide what would suit you best.
  9. Mord macrumors G4


    Aug 24, 2003
    get the friging ibook

    1) 6 hour battery
    3) go ipod go ipod
    4) ibooks are so much more robust ive droped mine down some stairs and it stil works fine!!!!!!!!!!!!
    5) my sis has a ibook g4 and there so cool
    6)alubooks suck.
    7)you can add a internal superdrive (MCE) later
  10. mactastic macrumors 68040


    Apr 24, 2003
    I'd go iBook too. That is a proven form factor, while the AluBooks are still on their first rev. The 15" is nice (I have a TiBook myself) but the value on the G4 iBook is amazing right now. It is **almost** the equivelant of a 12" PB right now (I know, I know there ARE differences!). Oh and don't skimp on HD size. Remember, you will be putting music on it! Lots and lots of music.

    If you want to blow your wad on a laptop, wait till there is a G5 version to blow it on! In the mean time, unless you have some very specific needs for performance go iBook.

    My 2¢.
  11. kuyu macrumors 6502a


    Sep 16, 2003
    i am facing a similar dilemma myself.

    Here's my 2 cents. I bought my first mac in february. It is an emac 700. I am pretty happy with it, but a part of me wishes I'd popped for the imac or saved somemore for a tower. I retrospect, I would recommend buying the one that has everything you want. If you skimp now, you'll wish you hadn't in 6 months.

    I myself will be getting a 15 inch rev. b powerbook or a G5 book... time will tell.
  12. jtown macrumors 6502

    Jul 3, 2003
    Get the 12" ibook. Add the following:

    60 gig drive upgrade

    Get the 60 gig upgrade. The price isn't outrageous and upgrading it yourself would require the removal of some 30-40 screws. Not to mention the warranty issue. As for bluetooth Apple's the only source for the internal bluetooth module and the only way to get it is during the initial order. You may never need it but it's reasonably priced and not something you could add easily in the future.

    Go to the refurb section and get your airport extreme module (assuming you need wireless) for $20 less. Also consider getting your ipod here. 15 gigs for $279 with the dock. You really shouldn't need more than 15 gigs.

    Go to and find a 512 meg PC2100 SODIMM. I think the best deal right now is at $95. They're a great company. Always fast shipping and no BS. Take the extra 128 meg module out of the ibook and sell the 128 meg module on ebay.

    Now you've got a very small, powerful laptop with 60 gigs of storage, 640 megs of RAM, connected every way possible (both wired and wireless), 15 gigs of portable music. All for significantly less than the base price of a 15" powerbook.

    Don't buy Applecare yet. You can add that any time during the hardware warranty period (1 year). 10 months from now, evaluate your use of the ibook. If you're ready to upgrade, do it and sell the ibook with enough time left on the warranty for the new owner to add applecare. If you're not ready to upgrade, get applecare.
  13. Foxer macrumors 65816


    Feb 22, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Some, including myself, would debate this.

    I agree with those in favor of the PB. IPods aren't going anywhere.

Share This Page