Protected classes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

just another way for the democrats to keep us from being "equal". how do you expect people to be equal when you place the value of some above others?

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

By keeping the value equal.

3. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Did you just get bored and create another topic just for the hell of it? Lol.

4. jkcerda, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Here's the dilemma. You have people Muslims, blacks, gays, and yes, even Mexicans who may currently face some forms of discrimination in certain places. The idea of making them protected classes is because they're MORE likely to be discriminated against than anyone else.

BUT...

It of course leaves things open for abuse. At some point, you're going to have some gay black Mexican Muslim walking around being a penis to everyone, then when he gets called out for it, he'll play the discrimination card, and sue for millions of dollars. It's kind of an inevitability, because being a penis isn't bound to one race, creed, or orientation. People are people, and people do as people do.

SO...

The only apparent option is to rid ourselves of protected classes entirely, right? Strike away the Civil Rights acts, because they're entirely unnecessary these days, and move on to where people have the rights and freedoms to do as they wish, because RACISM IS DEAD! No one really wants to discriminate anymore.

WELL...

It isn't quite so simple. While being a bigoted penis/vagina (let's try to be equal here) isn't nearly so widespread anymore (contrary to what some people believe), you'd have to be a blinkered moron to assume it's gone entirely. You rid yourself of all the protections afforded to groups traditionally discriminated against, and some people WILL discriminate. You'll see a few places pop up with No Blacks, No Irish signs on the front of their shops, may even see a handful of Sundown Towns show up here and there. It won't be a massive resurgence, but they'll pop back up.

So we have to ask ourselves the question: is it better to allow anyone to go anywhere without fear or reprisal based upon who they are, where the only suffering comes from people being forced to take money from people they don't like for the sake of pure justice, or to allow people to discriminate against whoever they want, to block out entire groups of people from visiting their stores for the sake of pure freedom.

It's a positive liberties vs. negative liberties things. In a perfect world, we'd have both. But since we don't live in this perfect world, we have to settle with an imperfect solution. In the end, we've decided it's better err towards positive liberties, because the damage is lesser.

After all, being forced to tolerate a gay black Midget Mexican Muslim in your store, someone who will eventually give you cold hard cash for some lawn darts, isn't nearly so damaging to society than forcing all the gay black Midget Mexican Muslims in the area to go to just one store 10 miles away in a town with 15 stores, because 14 of those stores don't want to serve them.

------------------------------

I don't care, I want equality even if it means you can to a degree discriminate against me.

5. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

when I want protected glasses, I put them in a case.

6. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Of course you do.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Brown power trumps your white power anyday of the week and trice on Sunday :D
    --- Post Merged, Oct 5, 2016 ---
    that is just it, protected classes are NOT equal.

8. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Leave Tub Girl out of this.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

never mentioned Hillary.

10. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Obviously not, but it can help balance the scales until a society comes to its senses.

11. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

WHEN are they going to come to their senses if we keep separating them?

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Everyone belongs to a protected class. And, there's no evidence to suggest that since protected classes have been installed that there's a dramatic increase in the number of unfounded claims. Instead, we see that people are still reticent to make claims, even when they should.

Now, granted there's always that one ****ing guy who abuses a system, but that's true with every societal, cultural change.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

---------------------
    It doesn't matter. Whether you side with the right to discriminate, or the right for anyone to go where they please without fear of discrimination, some group will lose some freedoms at some point. The only solution we have is to attempt to minimize the amount and quality of freedoms lost.

In modern society, we consider the ability for anyone to go anywhere without having to worry about the color of their own skin, their religion, or the genitalia they like becoming an issue a more important right than being able to call someone an <insert racial slur here>, then kicking them out of your store.--------------------
    what color/race/age/religion is the guy so I can decide if I should be pissed or not, WAIT A ****ING MINUTE, did YOU just assume THE GENDER of the abuser? HOW DARE YOU :mad: YOU EVIL MISANDRIST.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You are the person who assumes that the creation of a protected class "separates" people. Which really makes no sense because people are categorized into groups in any meaningful way.
    Yes. I did.

Sue me.

15. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

I don't have a crystal ball, but I can say that if you are a woman, a racial minority, gay, lesbian, trans, etc, (basically, anyone except a White male)...there has never been a better time for you to have been alive. I credit this, in part, to special protections we have instituted that help to mitigate phobias of the masses.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

just give me your full name, address, SSN and Birthday, I'll open up some credit cards in your name and charge them till I feel "justice" has been served :D
    I beg to differ because let's face it, I love raising my post count :p
    your post assumes things are equal across all states.......... oh crap, so does my thread :(

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That was way too long and profound for you. I sense a ghostwriter. :D

18. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

JK is like draco malfoy in harry potter and the half blood prince. he's the vessel to bring the death eaters (renzatic) in. to paraphrase mace windu "i sense a plot to destroy PRSI" :D

19. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I actually sometimes marvel at the comparative civility of our species. When most other species group together it’s usually for very specific collective and beneficial reasons. Humans are pretty much piled on top of each other while mostly remaining selfish and broad brush stroke judgmental. Imagine if lions or bears were packed together in the same density as humans.

I guess a side effect of our superior intellect and being on top of the food chain is creating problems where there probably shouldn't be any.

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

STOP DEFLECTING...........:mad:

21. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

when trump is gone then it will be better :rolleyes:

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

welcome back , long time no see, hope you are not triggered
    [​IMG]

23. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

I thought trump called him less educated? had a well deserved vacation.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

where you go? and you didn't invite me? :mad:

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If you look at the Gallup survey on interracial marriage only 7% of Americans between 30-49 disapprove, and only 4% between 18 and 29 disapprove. I'd guess California is ahead of the curve by maybe a decade. So there probably only ~5% of people your age (presuming you're in your fourties) disapprove of interracial marriage.

Additionally because anti-racism is so strong there is no way any store would deny service.

So to you it's no big deal. But I think in many parts of America it is a big deal.

What is definitely true, is over the next half century slowly but surely these anti-discrimination laws need removing.