Protected purchased songs won't sync to new 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mms13, Nov 9, 2011.

1. mms13 macrumors 6502

Hi, I had an iPhone 4, and all my music synced fine.

Yesterday, I got the iPhone 4S, restored from my iPhone 4 backup and synced all my music. However, I noticed my song count was about 300 songs short. Eventually, I figured out it wasn't syncing the songs I bought on iTunes back in the day when they we're rights protected.

On the iPhone, I can go to iTunes->Purchased and see all these songs and download them to the device, but my iTunes on my mac has always managed them, why can it no longer? I just want all my music to sync over. It's like I need to 'authorize' my 4S to play my purchased music, but I see no way of doing that.

Please help.

2. mms13 thread starter macrumors 6502

No one else has had this problem?

I tried removing all my music, then resyncing it back...same issue. It syncs everything but the 300 or so non-iTunes Plus songs. This is ridiculous.

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I had this issue a few years ago. I think I ended up burning the songs to CD then ripping them back to MP3.

I am sure there has to be another solution though.

4. mms13 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I hope it's not that difficult.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I wouldn't call that difficult...but annoying and a bit of a hassle.

6. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

This happened to me also.

Initially, I used iCloud to back up my iP4 and then I restored to my iP4S. I noticed certain purchased songs did not sync even though they were in my iTunes. I ended up doing a restore and then re-syncing. It doesn't sound like you had the same problem as me, but this did fix my problem. I think mine was more iCloud related.

7. mms13 thread starter macrumors 6502

If possible I'd really like to avoid a restore, I don't want to lose my app data.

It appears to be isolated to file types of 'Purchased AAC Audio Files'. 'Protected AAC Audio Files', 'AAC Audio Files', and all other file types are syncing correctly.

8. richard371 macrumors 68000

I have this problem when restoring and synching with iCloud. Over the years I have used a 2 or 3 iTunes IDs when I purchased music back in the day when it was drm protected. When I sync with my iMac via cable at syncs all the account info but when I use iCloud I think some if the older accounts are missing. One of these days ill do a restore and sync with iCloud and try to remember these old accounts otherwise I will loose a few 100 songs.

They may be a way in iTunes to list all the accounts the music is attached to.