Protecting user from health hazards of wireless on MBP and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JacksMac, May 17, 2008.

1. JacksMac macrumors newbie

I really like using my new MBP, but I'm concerned about all of the wireless "conveniences", e.g. the wifi feature and the wireless aspect of the Time Capsule back up (LOVE the 1 Tb storage!) when it comes to the documented physiological effects of being immersed in microwave fields.

e.g. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GD_BKTWyTY

and

http://www.safewireless.org/

I'd appreciate some help in locating resources for reducing the modulated-microwave radiation impact of MBP and the Time Capsule while still taking advantage of the power of the MBP and using the Time Capsule as backup storage (via Ethernet cable, presumably).

Thanks!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There is absolutely zero scientific evidence that suggests any adverse health affects resulting from wireless use.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

As much as it's nice that you are concerned about your health, millions of people everyday use wireless devices without any negative effects on their health related to the radio signal. I don't think it's worth it to modify your hardware in order to prevent problems with your health, you're much more likely to have problems from staring at the screen than you are to get cancer from radio waves.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

Hope there is also no cable TV, microwave oven, cordless phone, cell tower, or police with radar guns in the neighborhood.

5. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

your best bet is a suit of armor or a skin-tight faraday cage.

i also suggest not being somewhere that receives cellular and radio transmissions. watch out for the sun, too. it's a dangerous world....

;)

but seriously though, don't worry about wifi or bluetooth. wireless is completely safe, and EM waves pass through your body from the second you're conceived until you cease to exist.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You shouldn't have to look much further than that website to reach a conclusion on this issue. I don't believe there's a single suggestion on that website backed with any substantiated research.

EMF issues aside, they're also suggesting we eat entirely organic, avoid plastics and Styrofoam, take cold showers, sleep in only the darkest room available, avoid fluorescent light, rely on candlelight when possible, only use the back burners on a stove, the list goes on and gets weirder with each item... However, the most telling is number 11:
    "Measure EMR from wireless and wired devices with appropriate meters (see safewireless. org). To decrease exposures, install EMR filters and preventive technologies to electrical circuits, devices, appliances, etc."​

Well, you've convinced me. Here's my $100. :rolleyes:

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Thats what the aluminum foil hat is for silly!

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

All a load of nonsense from people who are worriers.

Just like the people who think the atom smasher in Geneva is going to suck the earth into a black hole...

There is nothing to be worried about. There is far more stuff to be worried about coming at you every second of the day and night from the sky.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes I will stop using all electronics immediately.

10. RedBranch macrumors newbie

radiation blues

Hey.
    Re: your concerns. In the last 10-15 min ive installed the 2tb time capsule.
    Its 2m away, and ive got radiation tingle in my ears/side of head as if ive been on the mobile too long. Really taking the shine off my new and expensive purchase. My friend also noticed it, although it took him several more minutes than me to pick it up.
    Ive always been one of those people who dont like microwave ovens because I can feel them if I walk in front of them, and who hears the tv on standby. But I'm feeling bummed about the time capsule as my study doubles as the kids rumpus/tv room.
    Not sure what the solution is, but hopefully I can turn off the wireless and use the time capsule via usb, because I dont want to live with this.
    Chur!

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you don't want the wireless features, just buy a normal USB external hard drive and save yourself some money.

PS: This thread is 5 years old...

12. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

13. MJL macrumors 6502a

That is what the vendors want you to believe. Wireless etc = microwave frequencies. DO you think sticking your head every day in the microwave for 10 or 20 or 30 seconds is a good idea? You won't die off it but there is the true stroy of the pizza operator who removed the door on his microwave becuase it took too long to put the pizza's ina nd take them out. He just switched the machine on for an hour at the time and kept it running. He lost his arm.

Basically he slowed cooked his cells - same as with some staff that I had working for me and were all the time on a mobile phone, you know them old large Motorola bricks. After several years they were basically braindead, they were unable to have any intelligent and analytical discussions. Look at how far the radiation moves into the brain - that is how far the cells get slowly killed. RF (radiowaves) also have been shown to affect the T-cells in the blood. The T-cells have are involved with the immune system.

New phone have now a warning in our country not to hold them closer than 1.5 cm to your head. Yeah right, how practical is that?

Never mind, people willbelieve whatever they want to believe - they all live in their own dreamworld. However I go by facts and they are not favourable.

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

...physiological

Sorry, stopped reading there. While I'm fairly certain everyone born after ~1970 will develop crazy brain cancers in about 50 years from all the random signals we're bouncing around, I can pretty much guarentee you're not going to suffer from health problems by using your home computer and wireless there. Cell phones, for example, are likely dumping a lot more into your head (type of signal and proximity to brain) but again, is not going to kill you any sooner than using a landline.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Microwave ovens operate at a very specific frequency, one that excites water molecules to cook your food. Vary that frequency - even slightly - and nothing would happen, not even to your head should you stick it in.

The vendors of which you speak have no control over the scientific research conducted at the university level, all of which has demonstrated wifi to be safe.

You need to get all of the facts before reaching a judgement. Not just anecdotes about pizza operators.

16. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Turn off the Wifi, use a backup disc that connects via USB or Thunderbolt, and connect to the internet using an Ethernet cable.

Also you should move to an Area without cellphone service, and far away from any neighbors that might have a Wifi network. 100m should be enough. Carefully survey the area for any nearby radio stations before deciding on where to live. High voltage power lines should also be avoided.

PS: I'm not trying to make fun of you. I'm just trying to explain the kind of effort it would take to get away from most radiation from electronic devices. Where I live there are about 10 Wifi networks in range, so switching off my own network wouldn't have a notable effect on my exposure to electromagnetic radiation.

17. idunn macrumors 6502

Tin hat—or pea brain—department

Note: if still paying attention from 2008.

Never mind the dismissive replies of all the many who have never seriously studied this or would know any better. Organisms, including people, react differently to radiation, some being more susceptible to the influences.

Personally, I use wi-fi at home in preferring the convenience. That does not mean it is ideal from a health perspective. Nor is it easy to escape all the many radio influences in our modern world. But steps can be taken. To begin with, no longer use wi-fi at home (as well as cordless phones, etc.), and connect all with ethernet, etc.

In time, there may be a good many cell phone users and others who suddenly discover, decades later, that they've now mysteriously contracted cancer. Maybe or no not. But one thing for certain is that limiting one's exposure to radio waves, natural or not, is sure not going to hurt your health—and possibly help to preserve it.

Not necessarily easy, but those wishing to do so can take various steps. One would be possibly moving to West Virginia:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...moving-to-west-virginia-to-escape-radio-waves

Oh, and I'd look well beyond this forum for some accurate and knowledgeable information on this subject.

18. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

I have a very good step you can take to furthering your safety from these signals.
    [​IMG]
    It's pretty funny how rude you seem insulting the intelligence of people on a tech forum who may happen to be extremely smart.

You can read websites. Nice. Please tell us more about what you know on this topic.

19. snaky69 macrumors 603

This.

Every single electrical wire in your home with current running through it is emitting and electromagnetic field.

Local radio stations broadcast millions of watts into your skull.

Local TV broadcasters also use similar wavelength.

There's also the earth's own magnetic field you live in every day.

Everything, wired or not, emits some kind of electromagnetic field. There is NO evidence whatsoever of this being harmful in any way.

If you are that afraid of the invisible waves, build yourself a nice faraday cage by covering your house and every electrical appliance in tin foil, you'll thank me later.

20. toypadlock macrumors member

lol. that literally never happened.

21. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Nice one.

I didn't notice that I fell for a Necro thread :(