Protecting your privacy on an iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bradmullins007, Aug 16, 2012.

1. bradmullins007 macrumors newbie

I can't really find what I'm looking for to help me with my situation. I work with people who like to pick up my phone and I don't care that they like to check it out but I like to keep my texts private like most people so what app caters to this need specifically? I don't want the phone locked all the time and have to type n a password every time I pick it up. I use it as an iPod so it's always hooked into the radio so I can't just put it
    In my pocket....

2. dotme macrumors 6502a

Granting someone physical access to an unlocked device pretty much kills security. Maybe there's a jailbreak app that only password-protects texts but I'm quite sure iOS won't do it.

3. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

You can take the messages app off the bottom of the screen and put it down in a folder so it’s not right there to click on. Or you could put it after a blank screen. Just drag an app to a blank screen and then drag the messages app to the next blank screen. Then take the first app and move it back to its original place. Then you will have a blank screen before your message app. I think most people will go back if they find a blank page. Those are the best solutions I can think of without jailbraking like mentioned above.

4. AlexJaye macrumors regular

Lol... the lengths you have to go on iOS are becoming ridiculous. I'm so tired of my iPhone.

But I've always wanted the ability to password-protect certain apps w/o jailbreaking.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You could always not let just anyone pick up your phone.

6. Gaidin43 macrumors regular

There should be away to password protect photos too.

7. FlunkedFlank macrumors member

BiteSMS! It's the single best reason to jailbreak an iPhone:

http://bitesms.com/main/more_features

(Well, that and SBSettings.) It's criminal that Apple doesn't offer the equivalent of BiteSMS's "quick reply" and "quick compose" out of the box. They should really just buy BiteSMS and make it the default messaging app.

By the way it is 100% compatible to the built-in messaging app. It saves and reads from the same message database so you can switch back and forth if you want to for some reason, although I can't think of one.

Note: it's a for-pay jailbreak app, but worth every penny. I'm on an iPhone 5 now, but can't wait for a jailbreak to appear so that I can go back to using BiteSMS.

8. lionqueen macrumors 6502

9. spades1412 macrumors 6502

This

No one picks up my phone but me.

10. Sneakyfox macrumors regular

Sneakyfox

I don't tend to let people on my phone. I dont want them potentially snooping, or even dropping it.

11. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

so you don't care about people from picking up your phone, but don't want to use a password either?

1) since they just want to check out your phone, let them do it but with you looking over their shoulders?
    2) if you trust them, then your concern shouldn't be an issue. if you don't trust them, see #1