Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wizzywas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
Hi I'm getting a 13" MacBook Pro Retina

I would like to know if I can a protective skin for the bottom base only, to protect against scratches.

I was looking at ZAGG but they only do one for the whole MacBook and is a bit pricey.

Any recommendations.
I prefer it to be a clear skin to preserve the look on the MacBook without sticking a hard case on it

Thanks

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I've never protected the bottom of mine and it has never scratched the bottom. I've used it on a variety of surfaces and my lap. The feet keep it above most surface dirt so it doesn't scratch.

When transporting, it's always in the laptop compartment of my backpack.

Anything that sticks to the case will probably leave residue. Hard cases will cause more wear due to dirt rubbing in between the case and MBP.

JeffiJers

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
U.S.
OP

I was like you and was going to vinyl the bottom, Or pick up a skin from Icarbon. Instead I went with a smart shell speck case and very happy I did. Protects the complete computer where as a skin wont. Saved me on a number of scratches already and i am Very easy on my stuff & take great care.

Wizzywas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2013
I've never protected the bottom of mine and it has never scratched the bottom. I've used it on a variety of surfaces and my lap. The feet keep it above most surface dirt so it doesn't scratch.

When transporting, it's always in the laptop compartment of my backpack.

Anything that sticks to the case will probably leave residue. Hard cases will cause more wear due to dirt rubbing in between the case and MBP.

I've used the ZAGG Skin for my previous MacBook and it left no residue. Just as a precaution i'd like to get something for the bottom.
I'm not a fan to Hard cases at all.

----------

OP

I was like you and was going to vinyl the bottom, Or pick up a skin from Icarbon. Instead I went with a smart shell speck case and very happy I did. Protects the complete computer where as a skin wont. Saved me on a number of scratches already and i am Very easy on my stuff & take great care.

I had a look at Icarbon but i would like skin only for the bottom.

Not looking for a shell case, not to fond of them, they add extra size to the macbook

Thanks for your suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.