Protective films for back of new iPad? (BSE, Bodyguardz, etc.)

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Hmmmm, I wonder if the advanced clarity is actually worth getting. There is a Zagg stall outside the Apple store in our local mall, and I'll have to take a gander. I got the back covered on my iPad 2, but I don't like the orange peel look that Zagg has on the screens. Maybe they have figured out a way to reduce/eliminate that?

t7own

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
I ordered a best skins ever rear film on Thursday, hope it arrives by next Friday! Not sure if it will though because I live in the uk.

My iPad one had one of these and when I removed it after 18 months the back of the ipad was like new. I only took it off because the skin had started going yellow. I like the feel of the skin as well

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I had a Best Skins Ever on the back of my iPad 2 and loved it. Not really any orange peel and added the perfect amount of grip for holding the iPad. I looked carefully at the picture of the iPad 2 and new iPad back on Apples site and really the only difference is the camera lens is a hair bigger. I want my skin when the iPad delivers so I just went ahead and ordered the iPad 2 one. It's fine for me.

Last edited:

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

mad-jamie16 said:
Thats what it says on ther website.
hmm maybe its only the British who REFUSE to do anything on a sunday then hahaha.
Maybe in America 30 years ago.

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California
Hmmmm, I wonder if the advanced clarity is actually worth getting. There is a Zagg stall outside the Apple store in our local mall, and I'll have to take a gander. I got the back covered on my iPad 2, but I don't like the orange peel look that Zagg has on the screens. Maybe they have figured out a way to reduce/eliminate that?
Yeah, Zagg is nasty and feel sticky. Bodyguardz, BSE and others feel smooth.

I don't want to put a rear iPad 2 film on the 3rd gen because the taper is different.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Same here, held up great for the year it was on there. Work with smart cover and I sold my ipad2 with NO scratches or marks on the back. Smooth & clear. I've also used BSE skins on scads of other devices for several years and have always been happy with them.

I respect your opinion but for me BSE @ $17 vs Bodyguardz @ $25 makes for an easy choice.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
What does Power Support make for the Ipad 3? I have always loved their products. Do they make an iPad back protector as well as a front retina screen protector?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I always go BSE for back and PS Crystal for front. Have no heard about Bodyguardz what's so good about it?

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

^dont worry zagg is awful go BSE if you want better quality and longer use

miamialley

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Orange County, California
Same here, held up great for the year it was on there. Work with smart cover and I sold my ipad2 with NO scratches or marks on the back. Smooth & clear. I've also used BSE skins on scads of other devices for several years and have always been happy with them.

I respect your opinion but for me BSE @ $17 vs Bodyguardz @ $25 makes for an easy choice.
Are BSE smooth like Bodyguardz and not sticky like Zagg? If so, I might order their 3 film for the back. Thanks for the link.

kapalua12

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
United States
Why don't you guys like Crystal Film/Power Support? It looks great on my iPhone 4s.

Seems PS not too popular here. Is the clarity less than the other popular films mentioned?

AriaAmante

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
So I take the general consensus is that the Zagg ones suck? I was going to put an Invisishield on the front and one of the ZaggSkins on the back...but now I'm having second thoughts.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I was going to put an Invisishield on the front
DO NOT DO THIS!!! The wet-adhesive vinyl films SUCK on the screen. They're great for the back / casing, but for the screen stick with the static cling type. A good one will be indistinguishable from the naked screen. SGP Steinheil is my personal preference, but there are other good ones out there.

@kapalua12: We were discussing protection for the back of the ipad, not the screen. Power support I believe makes good screen protectors, I don't think they make something for the back of an ipad?

@miamialley: I haven't used Bodyguardz, so it's difficult for me to answer for sure. There's a little more grippiness in your hands with the BSE than the slipper bare aluminum, but it's never been what I felt was "sticky". I never noticed it picking up any lint/dirt nor grabbing on anything going into my computer bag next to folders and such. Hope that helps.