Protestors take to streets over Iran election results

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Jun 13, 2009.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I don't know which is worse, a dictatorship, or the illusion of democracy.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1904563,00.html

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

In other news, grass is green and the sky is blue.

Seriously, did anyone actually expect the "challenger" to win? It was pretty obvious that Ahmadinejad was going to "win".

3. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

it seems like a stupid way to rig the election, too. Did you see the coverage? Mousavi's crowds were enormous, and coming from all over Iran (unless our news stations were just presenting it that way, but from what I could tell Mousavi had a gigantic following). Then they turn around and say that Mousavi only got %20 of the vote, with Ahmadinejad getting %63? If they wanted to appear honest, wouldn't it have been better to do a 51/49 result?

Judging solely on what American TV news has shown, the idea that Mousavi would lose %20 to %63 is a blatant case of political corruption and the continued illusion of democracy in a dictatorial regime.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Very few of us here are equipped with the facts to make any judgements:

5. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

No, it isnt. The only illusion here is the western belief that Ahmadenejad had lost a ton of support in Iran and was being ousted. Many people, including most of American media simply do not realize how popular this guy is in Iran. The above posted article shows this. There is simply no way Mousavi could have won.

What you have seen here, yet again, is the failure of western media to give the whole story with regards to events in the middle east.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

On the other hand, Andrew Sullivan is piecing together conflicting reports which seem to cast a very suspicious light on what has happened and seems to be happening, with arrests of political leaders, newspaper reporters, websites and phone networks being closed down.

I guess my point is, is that it's way too easy for us to judge either way what is really going on. Best to keep an open mind about things. Either way, the ruling regime, where the power really rests with unelected bodies is not going anywhere soon.

For anyone wanting to understand how the power structure works in Iran, this BBC article is invaluable. Concentrating on who the president is, is missing the much greater point.

7. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

Aljazeera has not reported anything like this, not yet at least, and they've had the best coverage of the elections I found. They have however mentioned that networks were shut down post election to prevent organization of mass protests by Mousavi supporters, who are largely the young and interwebz savvy.

Anyways Iran is a very complex country, it's far too over simplified in the media. You have a clash of traditionalist vs modern, religion vs secularism in a society where cultures and even languages vary from province to province. The political power structure is also quite complicated and confusing at times. With such a country, an open mind is a definite must.

8. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

I guess making a conclusion based solely on American TV is pretty naive, no matter which station you watch. Or any TV station, really.

But on the eve of the election, all I saw on NBC & CBS were stories on how huge Mousavi's base was. Then they said, "oh, and Mackmood has a few farmers supporting him, but it doesn't look like much." Basically.

9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I wouldn't rely on any broadcaster to accurately convey what is going on. They're locked down and under their own internal pressures, commercial and political. Traditional media is hopelessly behind the times these days.

News is slowly filtering out through Twitter and by other means. Speculation that what has taken place is a military coup.

For anyone interested in this story, this dairy at DKos is a good start.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I can't take credit for the screenshot but it shows the BBC and Mousavi's news site have been blocked recently.

Attached Files:

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sleep tight.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It makes sense that he(Mousavi) was told he had won, since the came out saying the won so early, and when numbers where still strongly against him.

Hopefully the people of Iran reject this show..and the true will of the people in shown(one can hope!)

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

So was this election rigged or not?

The persian friends I have voted for the Iranian Green Party, but that doesn't mean Ahmadinejad didn't get any votes. Is it conceivable that he could have won?

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    'Expert' commentators are highlighting weaknesses in the voting system, but they really haven't proof that it was rigged.

Iran's time will come, another 4 years means a lot of new votes from a more liberal generation and a lot more graves dug for old fundamentalist voters.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Those in power at the moment arent acting like winners, they are acting like loosers who stoled a election, every action they have done has been to suppress the otherside that lost. Very Odd indeed for a winner plus without any neutral observers seems to me this was staged but we could be wrong. This country is ran by its old timers and clerics, its democracy is facade for its religious right.

They wont let power be taken from them, how many times have we seen this in mans history? over and over and over its the same old story. Power and corruption go hand in hand without any oversight.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Anyone who knows the answer to this question at this point is either dead or not talking.

18. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I wonder if Obama still plans on negotiating with what some perceive as a sham government.

19. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

He has no choice. No matter how you look at things, there can never be peace in the middle east without peace with Iran and it as an ally. Make friends with Iran and peace between the Israelis and Palestinians and you have peace in the middle east. There is really no other way.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I suspect that depends on who perceives it as a sham government.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Washington Times

Ahmadinejad claims his supporters some from rural areas, however the amounts of protesters in other cities, not just Tehran, may not account for the margin at 28%.Times Online

22. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My friend in Iran posted these pictures of the protests. Looks like close to a million at least.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

23. chrmjenkins thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Wow. It's encouraging to see that many people speaking out where they have reason to fear repercussions for doing so.