Prototype Apple Pro Keyboard??

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by PowerMac G4 MDD, Mar 30, 2016.

1. PowerMac G4 MDD macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Hi all - So I ran into this sale for a prototype Apple keyboard that I have NEVER seen before. It looks to be the black Pro keyboard released in 2000, but its acrylic body is fully green. My guess is that Apple was considering continuing the fruit iMacs past 1999, or maybe the green was just a color for prototype use... not sure.

Has anyone seen this keyboard before? I'm looking to purchase it and I'm wondering if it's actually worth-it. Some would say that it's worth-it just because it's a prototype, but I'd rather not pay $67 if it isn't THAT special. Sure, it's rare, but is it of value?

(Attached image below)

Thanks,
    -MDD
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2016 ---
    Here is the underside of the keyboard; it shows that it's a prototype and unconfirmed design. Pretty funky-looking product.

Attached Files:

2. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

I would say with 99% certainty the color was just to identify it as a prototype. The DUT tag means "Device Under Testing". This means the device is just for functionality and not design. Similar to the way they have used clear and green in the past to build prototypes in the early phase. I would say it will have a bit of value because it is a version that did not see the light of day. I have NEVER seen this arrangement of key sizes..that I itself makes it a bit rare. If you have a prototype G4 cube from that era it would make a good companion and probably up the value of the package. As of the date on the back... the fruit iMac colors had changed and green was already discontinued. The keyboard could be for the Sage iMac, but the color is wrong and it was already out. By the time this keyboard was made they had already decided to move away from the colors. I could be totally wrong, but based on what I know....this is the best guess.

3. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Its only worth what a buyer will pay. As a proto you may find a buyer you may not.

4. Dandu macrumors regular

Wow !

Have you other photos ? It's an interessant prototype.

And under the keyboard, it's DVT, aka Developer Verification Test

Is this a japanese keyboard ?

5. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

There was one more photo that I'd have to find. This was a post on Facebook, and I decided I'm buying the item today!
    --- Post Merged, Mar 31, 2016 ---
    Yeah, I was thinking that. If they were considering stretching the fruit iMacs out past 1999, they wouldn't have cut them off so late. The date sticker on the underside showed that it was made about a month or so before the real keyboard was released. Maybe they didn't want to make the keyboard too similar to how it was going to look when done? I mean, its case on the finished product IS clear after all. Granted, the prototype G4 Cube doesn't look too far off from the finished product. It's practically undetectable.

6. Cineplex macrumors 6502a

Cineplex

If it says DVT on a prototype device would stand for "Design Validation Test". Here are the common tags for Apple products under development:

EVT - Engineering Validation Test (typically a very rough functional version just for hardware development and testing)
    DVT - Design Validation Test (Tests the design in real use situations, might be various designs put to test)
    PVT - Production Validation Test (Final testing phase of final assembled product or tests from the assembly line)

Anything that is tagged DUT is to indicate it is under testing. It is hard to say what letter that is on the keyboard. The font Apple uses for tags can sometimes look funny at a strange angle.

7. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

It's a very rare beast. Something I imagine any collector who focuses on prototypes would love to have.

I imagine that the color is a two-fold device. Such that it is easily spotted should it go walk-about, and doesn't divulge it's eventual true 'color'.

8. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Interesting info; I decided to buy it, so I'll let you know what it ends up being.

9. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

What does it mean when "PVT" is found on retail products, does it just refer to the early ones in the production run? My Indigo iBook has this printed on the logic board underneath the RAM upgrade, according to its serial number it was produced right at the start of the week beginning 25 September 2000 i.e. just over a week after they went on sale. It's the same as this one: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/images/D/clamshell-lb.jpg

10. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Yeah - I was originally thinking that it could have been their intention to continue with the fruit colors, but this was made literally a month before the actual product was released, and several months after the last fruit iMacs were made. This looks very similar to the finished product, so I'm sure it was a test dummy for the final product. Interestingly enough, it has more than one alphabet on it and has an over-sized one of those non-U.S.-layout return keys.

UPDATE: It should be arriving in the mail today! I will make a video on it and post the YouTube link here.

11. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

Got it in the mail! It has a Japanese layout. I looked online for any other references to this keyboard, and I found a 'FOR SALE' listing for a European one (selling for 30 euros) on this random marketplace site. The layout looked to be some European layout. Anyway, here's my video review:

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Hah!

When I first loaded this page, I had f.lux turned on, and I was thinking that it might have been "Power Mac G3 Blue & White" color - but turning off f.lux, I see it is firmly "deep green" - a color I love, by the way... If you feel like sending me the link to that European one, I would gladly buy it just to have a green Apple Pro keyboard!

13. mikemike690 macrumors regular

mikemike690

If you don't end up buying it, I'll be happy to be next in line ;)

14. PowerMac G4 MDD thread starter macrumors 68000

PowerMac G4 MDD

It was some old post with an ended sale. I'll go and look for it, though. Found it because it was the only other picture online of this keyboard. Honestly, though, another user contacted me first (PM) about this, so I feel obligated to show him first. He was actually interested in my keyboard, but I am not selling this thing; at least, not for a while.

15. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Must be nice for the keyboard to feel wanted so much. ;)

:)