Protruding Camera Dilema for Naked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ashtar, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Ashtar macrumors regular

Guys,

I, like many of you, prefer my iPhone without a case. What do you plan on doing concerning the iPhone 6's protruding camera? Going naked doesn't seem very wise with that thing sticking out like that. Are you worried? Does this mean a case is a must now?

Let's here it.

2. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I wouldn't be worried. The lens is made of sapphire which is extremely hard. Not many materials will be able to scratch it.

3. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

In any other case yea it would get destroyed right away but it is made out of sapphire so lets wait and see.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

Scratching the front element of a lens has almost no impact on the photos taken.

5. mikeydooodie macrumors member

6. oplix Suspended

oplix

The lens being sapphire has absolutely nothing to do with the durability of the whole assembly if the protruding cover is impacted on a fall. In fact in most tests, sapphire proved much more brittle than gorilla glass. It's only more scratch proof, not more durable.

7. erzhik macrumors 6502

Us Lumia owners had this "problem" for a while. It's nothing, you will forget about the protruding lens after a week and phone not laying flat on your table is a good thing...easier to pick up.

8. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I have a Galaxy S4 with a protruding camera with no scratches at all on it (used without a case or any protection). I've been using it for 18 months. Ironically, I used an iPhone 5 for 6 months that had a nasty scratch on the lens, though it didn't impact the photos.

I like my phones naked and will keep this one naked, too.

The protruding lens hasn't bothered me at all. I wasn't sure if it would initially.

9. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Scratch yes .. impact no. It will chip and crack fairly easy. I did this to my iPhone 5s a few days after having it. All video and pictures at a black spot in the middle.

Good thing my power button stopped working so Apple replaced it :D

10. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

again apple is not the first to do this. No problems 5 yrs ago with HTC phones and protruding cameras and they were cheaper materials
    To the people talking about impact on drop, if you drop it the camera will be the least of yor worries I can promise you that.

11. choch macrumors newbie

I'm more worried about these silicone cases doing more damage to the aluminum body than if I went naked.

12. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

How would a silicone case damage a phone?

13. choch macrumors newbie

Just recalling my iphone4 bumper days. That thing wreaked havoc on the metal bands. Not sure what it was made of, or if it even makes a difference. But I wish I had gone naked from day one rather than have unavoidable scratches on the phone from the case that's supposed to be protecting it.

14. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob