Proud of my country.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by TechGod, Apr 6, 2014.

1. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11231593

We are ranked 1st social advancement wise.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

While I do agree that NZ is one of the nicest countries to live in, I have been to North Island twice (Morningside near Whangarei and Upper Hutt and Lower Hutt) and South just the once (Christchurch), before earthquake. It is a fantastic place to raise children, and the opportunities for sport are un matched. The landscape and nature fauna are fantastic, and unlike Australia not contastly trying to kill you. There is a true sense of community, and the population are open and friendly. Messing about on boats is a way of life, nearly a religion.

The one aspect of life I did notice was a sense of living at the end of the world, you are miles from anywhere else even with modern communications. Nearly everybody in their early twenties said that they felt as if the world was passing them by. Just the idea that in Europe you could visit three totally different countries in a matter of hours was like another world.
    If you talked to anybody in the art or culture worlds, you quickly heard that you would have to leave NZ if you wanted to reach the top.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

That's the only unfortunate part, that we can't change. To be honest I didn't feel too amazed when I visited America and Canada for the first time. Maybe because my parents are rather well off and let me go to any country I want tothis has allowed me to travel a lot and experince the world. My next stop will be Britan and if I'm lucky also another European country.

So far I have been to:America, Canada, India, Malaysia, Singapore, Fiji and Australia(not all countries were on my own) I aim on visiting 30 countries by the age of 25(I am 16 currently)

4. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I envy you. Unfortunately conservative forces in the U.S. are into social regression. :eek:

5. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Let me know the next time you are coming and I'll give you an itinerary that will change that.

6. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

I'm not saying it was boring. Seeing the Niagara falls and the CN tower was amazing, seeing New York was also pretty cool.

7. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The problem is you're doing touristy stuff.

Even in NZ you don't do the touristy stuff. Touristy stuff is overpriced and underwhelming.

Protip: If you're ever near Rotorua or Taupo ask the locals where a place called Kerosene creek is. It's a natural hot spring river that's open to the public for free by the logging company that owns the land around it.

8. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I love that name for a place.

9. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

That much is certainly true. I haven't really lived there so I don't know how life would be different NZ vs USA

My guess is that I would be happier with NZ.

----------

Then come join us:p

10. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

You should the Maori how they feel about social advancement...income inequality, unemployment, incarceration rates...

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

While that may be true for most of them there still are exceptions and as part of my primary school trips we have visited many many successful Maori communities that are really happy with their lives. However this is the country as a whole(gay rights among other things) not of the minority. If you are gonna point out a flaw in my country then look very carefully at your flaws, come back to me after that.

Have a nice day:)

12. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The Maori is a thing you can do? I'd imagine it'd look something like this.

Depends who you ask.

Though if you do want to boil it down to unhelpful trivialities. Which generation are we talking about? Hell, which region are we talking about?

Societal issues differ from generation to generation here. It's more extreme between the major maori tribes. The Tainui in Waikato have different view to Auckland tribes. Even family ties, Mana and the Iwi's interaction with the colonialists can change the societal view of New Zealand. Maori or Pakeha.

13. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Maybe I should just hire you to reply to people, since you are doing a much better job then me anyway:p

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I haven't been to Christchurch since the earthquakes, sigh. It used to be such a pretty little city.

But, I second the notion that NZ is a very, very nice place, as places go.