Proud owner of a new iPhone 3g and STUNNED it doesn't do Bluetooth voice dialing!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ETiPhoneHome, Jul 20, 2008.

1. ETiPhoneHome macrumors newbie

How in the world could a phone this sophisticated not do bluetooth voice dialing? That is really just insane.

2. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. ETiPhoneHome thread starter macrumors newbie

I am new to the iPhone community, is there any indication from Apple this will soon be added?

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It really is a feature the phone should have. Personally, I think they purposely left it out so people would have to use the interface more.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I never did see the list of priorities... it was floating around earlier.

I don't see it being AT ALL hard to implement; OS X has incredible voice recognition right now.

7. ETiPhoneHome thread starter macrumors newbie

Errrrrr,,, I'd really rather not use the interface while I'm driving.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I didn't say I agreed with them. I mean, isn't their home state a hands free state now?

9. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

10. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

App Store;
    Has a voice dialing app.
    Speech Cloud Voice Dialer
    No idea if its worth a darn but its there.

11. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I just don't see Apple adding these types of features after all of this time. Put this in the same category as MMS. Hard to believe it isn't there, but it seems pretty clear that they didn't overlook it - they don't want it on the iPhone...

12. DreamPod macrumors 65816

I don't get what you mean by "Bluetooth" voice dialing, the phone supports dialing over Bluetooth just fine. It's only voice dialing you are missing, and there are a couple companies working on apps that does that. One is supposedly just waiting for Apple to approve of the software, Makayama Voice Dial (that one's already available for Jailbroken iPhones).

13. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

nothing like having to repeat yourself 15 times to get your phone to dial the right person ;0

14. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Me: Call Pizza Palace
    Phone: Calling Jesus Christ, please hold.

15. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

I'm starting to get the idea that apple is leaving some of this stuff out intentionally, to be filled in by apps from the app store, which would make sense.

16. mac'inmama macrumors regular

Hmm well, if you decide it's alllll too much to not have bluetooth, I'll buy your pretty little iPhone from ya ;)

17. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Every time I talk to a guy at work about the iPhone he asks, does it do voice dialing? I have tried on past phones and never got into it, but he uses it a lot. We have bad signal strength in the office and he sets his phone in one spot, then uses bluetooth to talk and dial. I could see it a little handy to keep the phone in your pocket, then click your bluetooth headset and dial by voice.

18. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I'm not sure it is JUST for apps in the app store. Some of this stuff they just don't want on the iPhone.

MMS for example. No way to do MMS with an app, and Apple wants you to use e-mail.

19. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes, CA is a hands free state now. I never found talking and driving a huge issue. Some people suddenly forget how to drive with a phone to their ears so I get the hands free law. However, while driving the other day my BT dropped connection while I was trying to accept a call. It turns out I nearly wrecked on account of the damn hands free!

Unfortunately hands free is only good for talking, we schmucks still have to dial and then you have those who insist on texting and e-mailing.
    The app is BAD. And I do mean bad. First, this doesn't work unless you open the app making it rather pointless to use while driving as you still have to interact with the interface. Second, no matter how many times or how many places I tried whenever I said "call home" I would get different results each time, none of those being my home. I tried morning noon and night just to see if perhaps it didn't like to hear me when I was tired or just about to go to sleep. The app sucks and I was grateful that it was free.

As far as BT voice dialing ever happening, I doubt it. Give it time and we'll be asked to pay for it in the app store. ;)

20. kinster macrumors 6502a

kinster

Get a car that does voice dialing

21. dranakin macrumors 6502

Because buying a new car is the logical thing to do. Please.

22. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

how does this make sense.

23. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Eh? You know you can run an app before you start driving, right? It's not like you have to run the app every time you want to make a call, just every time you start driving. You shouldn't expect anything else, nothing in the app store can ever just keep running in the background.

24. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

And some call this phone revolutionary.

25. danny_w macrumors 601

I couldn't believe that the iPhone didn't have voice dialing when it was first introduced a year ago, but it wasn't there. This was the one feature that I was holding out for, but many people at the time said it would be coming because "it's only software, they'll fix it in an update" (but of course it never happened). I had become spoiled by the flawless voice dialing on my Sanyo phone (I don't remember which model) on Sprint years ago. I've tried voice dialing on other phones since then with varying success, but the Sanyo beat them all by a long shot. I finally relented and got an iPhone last fall but they STILL don't have voice dialing. I can see how some would not think this a big deal if they have used other phones with bad implementations, but it is quite possible today to do an almost foolproof implementation (Sanyo did it years ago). Why, Apple, why?