proud to be american

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Jul 4, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

2. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Guidelines: Be willing to engage in fact-based, constructive debate. Look for ways to inform and learn from others.

Rules:
    Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.

Repetition. If you repeat the same claims without adding new information, we might remove your posts. Again, if you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.

Trolling. Posts that appear to be designed to cause argument or irritate rather than contribute to a constructive discussion are considered trolling and will be treated as such.

Duplicate discussions. If a new thread repeats a topic that has been previously discussed or debated, without basis for a separate discussion, the thread may be closed, removed, or merged into an earlier thread on the same topic. A news report on a previously discussed issue doesn't automatically deserve a new thread.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

A shoplifter has got to be embarrassed if caught by him.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

everything listed is a personal choice, I don't see the problem.

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Are there people in this country that make lifestyle, clothing, and diet choices that I wouldn't?

Absolutely.

Thats the good thing about this place: people can, more or less, do as they choose.

Not everything is going to be to my taste. But so what? In fact, if everything was "in good taste" we'd never make any progress. We'd probably still be wearing spats and high hats, and riding around on buggies.

This Fourth of July, be proud to be an American. Be proud that we don't all agree with each other - thats another thing thats good about this country. Important issues get thoroughly discussed, debated, written about, argued, legislated, and sometimes litigated. (Only stupid stuff gets settled with guns or fists.)

Be proud that we live in a country protected by the bravery and professionalism of our armed forces. By the cops and firefighters and EMTs who are working today, and will be working at 2.00 am this morning. But also be proud of the fact that we have people willing to work gas stations and convenience stores, groceries and shopping malls on this National Holiday. Those people serve us too - and deserve our thanks and respect.

Is our country perfect? Of course not. Like any masterpiece, its a work in progress. We're a better country than we were fifty or a hundred years ago - and I hope we'll be a better country fifty years from now.

Is our country right about everything? Probably not. But the good thing about America, or America at its best, is we learn from other people. We've taken the best in art, and science, music, writing, philosophy, business from pretty much every nation and culture on earth - and mixed it up, and made it into something uniquely American. And we're all better and richer for it.

So, yes: I am proud to be an American. (And, BTW, we make the absolute best mobility scooters in the world. See: there is a bright side to everything.)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, just more hatred spewing from the OP. A clear troll post.

8. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

While yes, we in the US have a growing obesity problem, the hot dog crust pizza isn't all that bad when it comes to "insane food stuffs", I was in japan during the Evangelion Burger promotion at Burger King...

NINE PATTIES

[​IMG]

I did not try it, tho I did get the Spear of Longinus fork that's shown in the picture.

9. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

I mean while all the memes on that are true.

Indeed, it is just images with little actual content. Not much is being done here.

----------

True.

But have you ever been to Japan? Obese people are very rare, while in America they make up half the population.

10. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

haha the OP was exactly what I wanted it to be when I clicked this thread

11. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Oh yeah, I've spent a fair bit of time there. You're right, we are facing a deviating obesity problem (young Japanese are inflating as well, just not like the kids here in the US). I dated a woman for a couple years, she teaches Kyūdō (Archery) and she's noticed some of her newer students tend to be a bit heavier than her kids in the past.

12. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

13. chown33 macrumors 604

Proud to have upvoted posts in this thread.

You can be, too.

Vote today.

14. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Hey that thing is cool.

16. SLC Flyfishing, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

19. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

I was wondering about that. But I can't eat pizza and never watch tv so I don't know what pizza joints are making now.

----------

I am not hating just laughing at us silly Americans.

20. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

You could also probably put a bunch of scientific achievements completed in many of the universities in this country, but I guess that's not as exciting to read about.

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Got it. People in California like to listen to old Smiths cds:p. Some of those are really funny.

22. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Jayden? Really? The most popular name of 2013 in Florida is Jayden?

That's approaching our own bogan names in terms of it's boganity.

Examples of bogan names:

Diammond Sparckle
    Breeyanah
    Kymberleigh
    Jaxxynn

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Logical Answer: Your right we should focus on the great achievements that make this country great.

American answer: Shut up and pass me another beer. Oh look at the pretty lights in the sky. :D

24. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Not that those are going to be going on much longer, considering America ignores education and is creating a generation of student debt slaves.