Providence, RI - Providence Place

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by puggles, Jun 19, 2010.

1. puggles macrumors regular

Anyone ever camp out at this mall? What time do the doors open and is there anywhere to park without getting charged a ridiculous parking fee?

2. puggles thread starter macrumors regular

No one? There arnt many other options in the SE Massachusetts/ RI area...some one must have camped here before. :p

3. northofnowhere macrumors member

I talked to someone at the Apple store a couple of days ago. He told me that the doors to the mall itself are always open. I don't know if they will actually let us in and where they will let people line up.

I'm going to try and park on the street near the State House and train station. I would think early in the morning, there would be plenty of spaces. Otherwise back behind the mall might be an option.

4. golten macrumors newbie

Pplace

I was there for the 1st iPhone launch and waited from 6am till noon to get one (if I remember correctly) I was 2nd in line. Back then they never locked the mall you could go at any time.

5. shawneemac macrumors newbie

I live right behind the mall, we can meet at my place. Plenty of parking.
    I live at the Promenade....one block away.
    Thoughts?

6. northofnowhere macrumors member

I went to the Apple store today and talked to someone there. She said that launches there are usually pretty crazy and they have a ton of reservations. She said the mall is open 24 hours, but that security has said they will start letting people line up at 5am. She doesn't know if they will actually keep people from lining up if they show up earlier. She suggested getting in line early!

7. NaSsAsSaN macrumors newbie

NaSsAsSaN

Prov Place

I reserves one, I'm going to show up at 6. Last year i had one reserved also, got there for 515 was 5th in line and had my phone in 5 minutes when they opened the doors. If you reserved a phone don't rush, if you are a walk-in I'd def get there for 6 THE LATEST. Security is allowing people to line up at 5AM.

8. jbazar macrumors newbie

The mall security

Last year the mall security would not let people line up before 5am and they are all power junkies. This is the one time a year where they feel important.

9. scottder macrumors newbie

I plan to be there for 5am, since we will be walk-in. Hopefully it's not too bad then.

10. jakev9041 macrumors newbie

jakev9041

Parking

Hello everyone, as far as parking at the Providence Place they have plenty of parking it's $1 for the first two or three hours, and then it goes up a bit, but really not expensive considering the area...

11. dcasey628 macrumors newbie

Confirmed: Just talked to an Apple Employee. Doors open at 7am. Line-ups allowed at 5am.

Is the parking garage open 24/7 like the doors of the mall? I don't mind paying to park "X" number of hours, and it's the easiest.

I just dropped my 3G which shattered the front screen glass and am being forced to hit opening day :-(...was planning on letting the mass of people get theirs and just get an iPhone 4 sometime in July. FML. WTB 1st in line >_<!

Edit: Anyone know how many units for walk-in purchase Apple at Providence Place is getting?

12. betteroffted macrumors newbie

Yes it is.

13. Flight 815 macrumors newbie

The guy I talked to at the Store said he had no idea - what he actually said was "It could be one or one million." Thanks a lot, guy.

I'll probably get there around 5... I've never done this, so even though they're not letting people line up until 5, I'm wondering if there will be like, a pre-lineup line? How ridiculous will this get?

Edit: Also, are small chairs cool to bring, or is that a no-no?

14. rocketcarrot macrumors newbie

I pre-ordered mine, but now my wife wants one. So I have to stand in the queue with her. But there's one thing I don't understand because I haven't been to a launch event before since the mall doors are open 24/7...

*Store opens and starts picking people out of the line at 7.
    *They're allowing the queue to line up at 5.

....What happens before 5a? Does mall security make you leave the area or make you walk around and not allow you to hang around the store area?

15. scottder macrumors newbie

Yeah, it wouldn't be hard for them to keep people away from the Apple store area there. I think they just want to avoid people camping out overnight INSIDE the mall.

Scott

16. rocketcarrot macrumors newbie

Thanks Scott,

Hey isn't there an elevator like 200 feet from the store, we can just ride it up and down from 3am till the queue starts at 5am, LMAO.

17. Flight 815 macrumors newbie

That sounds a lot like what I'll be doing! Maybe go for a several mile jog around the mall... ha.

18. scottder macrumors newbie

Basically you can be in the mall, but the line cannot not stop forming till 5am. Gonna be a long morning. :)

19. scottder macrumors newbie

I don't think they say, because I don't think they even let the employees know. When we got the 3G, we asked and they said the employees weren't even allowed in the back where they were stored.

Scott

20. dcasey628 macrumors newbie

Fair enough answer. Also holds true with the infamous Apple secrecy we typically see.

21. northofnowhere macrumors member

So what time are you guys planning on getting down there? I'm wondering if they will have security camped out at the entrances asking people what they are there for?
    I'm probably going to show up around 4:30 and see how things look.

22. dcasey628 macrumors newbie

I've been debating this myself all day and I think I've settled on ~4:30am. It's one of those things that they won't let you officially line up until 5am, but will there be a pre-line for the line-up...

23. northofnowhere macrumors member

Yeah, I was curious about that too...there being a pre-line for the line. I figure if they physically keep us out until 5am, then I only have a half hour to kill. I really can't imagine they are going to let people just roam around the mall if they get there super early. Security knows it's an Apple launch day and they are going to be keeping tabs on everyone in there.

24. JustinHphoto macrumors newbie

so who is def going here? i'm a non-reserve walk in.. so i hope they have enough.. my friend that runs a wireless center at the walmart near me told me he got 4 of them wednesday, and expects another shipment today. so worse comes to worse i can head back there.. i'm just hoping the store has plenty walk in iphones available.

25. puggles thread starter macrumors regular

I went today at 5AM and was out of the store by 7:15