General Proxies on iOS to enable use of US streams/radio - please help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iGrainger, Aug 17, 2013.

1. iGrainger macrumors member

iGrainger

I'll try to make this brief. I live in the UK and I want to listen to US radio stations, for example: Power 106 FM - you can listen to this in the US anywhere, apps, streams etc. On my iMac I have configured a HTTP Web Proxy via Network settings to enable me to listen to streams such as that radio station. This also allows me to access the US Netflix etc.

What I want, is to be able to access this radio station on my iOS device. I can't actually download the app itself as it's on the US app store only, and apps such as TuneIn Radio do not let me listen to the stream due to the fact I'm in the UK. I've tried to configure a HTTP Proxy on WiFi settings on my iPhone, but obviously this only works on Safari etc, not on applications such as TuneIn or other radio apps.

Can anybody enlighten me as to how I can get around this and actually be able to listen to this station in the UK? It's been bugging me all day and I thought I'd give this a shot.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'd like to know too. But, I'm actually trying to go the other way and get BBC tv streams (I'm in the US). I think you can do this with a VPN, but all of the VPNs I've seen want money to use.

Note, that it's possible to get access to different countrys app stores. I use AccountChanger which is a Cydia tweak that let's you use multiple Apple IDs in the App store.

I created a UK email (yahoo.co.uk) with minimal information and used that email address for a new Apple ID. You can get around the credit card requirement by creating the ID on your device. Took a few tries for me as the system would not accept a credit card for a UK id that had a US address attached to it.

Once you have the ID set up you can use AccountChanger to switch IDs. When you do that it switches the store. Because of this I have a few UK apps I ordinarily would not have access to.

Hopefully, someone can solve this mystery as I'd like to use the BBC player just as much as you want to hear that US radio station.

3. iGrainger thread starter macrumors member

iGrainger

4. NEvolution macrumors regular