Proximity Sensor Issue with Screen Protector/ Anti-Glare

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shokwave86, Aug 13, 2010.

1. shokwave86 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone I was compelled to come post here since Apple deleted my thread instantly after posting it in the discussion regarding the proximity sensor. I would make this thread a poll but I don't exactly know how.

Anyhow, I've been investigating the proximity sensor for a while now. I got the first batch of IP4 and ended up exchanging twice, before returning the third phone. Since then, I've been watching closely because I am interested in seeing if the problem is fixed.

Here is what I posted in the Apple forum:

I've already posted my rant here regarding my 3 exchanges and ultimate result of returning my phone. I do have something I would like everyone to help investigate with. For all those who say they DON'T have the problem: Do you have a screen protector/ anti-glare or ANYTHING different on the face of your screen?

Something tells me that those who do, do not have the proximity problem. Perhaps it changes the trigger of the sensor?

Here's why I think so:
    A) I was at the gym and saw a friend with the IP4. I asked him if he's had any problems with face-dialing. He said no, and I asked if I could look at his phone. I noticed he had a laminated cover across the front of the phone. I thought to myself, maybe this prevents it from triggering?

B) Member "angina" from MacRumors said: "call me crazy, but now i can't reproduce the problem.... i have all the latest updates, and the only difference is that i got a new Power Support anti-glare screen protector. "- from this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=958252&page=19

Can people provide input that have any screen protectors/covers ? Perhaps if someone says they still have the problem even though they have a screen protector it will prove this invalid.

Besides this, I am patiently waiting for an announcement of a fix so I can go buy the IP4 again.

2. falconman515 macrumors 6502a

falconman515

First iphone arrived launch day week 24, I had the issue from the first call made with the sensor then I applied and SGP crystal film on the front on back and still had the issue.

It got SO bad I had it replaced...

Second iPhone4 was a week 26 and had the issue as soon as I left the store and it gradually got worse. I went naked for about 2 weeks then I ordered the Power Support Crystal film and applied that 1 week ago and no change what so ever!

A Film on the front makes NO difference whatsoever with the proximity sensor issue. I have another buddy that is on his second phone and used a screen film on his second phone as well and both phones with or without a film were equally as bad.

I have had two different phones with two different manufacturer films on them and both with or without the PS is HORRIBLE !!!

I am patiently waiting for the so called fix in the next software update. When 4.1 arrives and its not fixed this phone is going back!!!

3. shokwave86 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, I was desperately hoping that I was on to something but that is not the case. That is unfortunate you've gone through the same stuff I've gone through. I returned my phone on the 21st of July...today I called Apple and they said they haven't received my return...even though FedEx confirmed it was there on the 23rd. Watch out if you return a phone that has been exchanged. Their "service phones" each have a new serial number, and they will try to confuse you about this when you return the phone. I photocopied every document in case they tried anything. Now I'm supposed to be contacted within 48 hours to get my refund.

4. bmestlack macrumors newbie

The proximity sensor issue usually only happens with screen protectors other then a completely clear one. For instance, if you buy a anti glare screen protector off of amazon or somewhere online it may not have to cut out that is needed for the proximity sensor to work. If you but the one from apple you'll notice it does have the cut out above the ear speaker for the proximity sensor. Although it may cost $15, its worth it to not face-dial while on the phone.