Proximity Sensor Sufferors: How are you holding your phone? *Pictures inside*

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HXGuy, Jul 16, 2010.

1. HXGuy macrumors 68000

The proximity sensor on my iPhone 4 has been driving me CRAZY and I've been holding the phone to my left ear the same way as I've held every iPhone before with no problems. Which has been like this...

[​IMG]

I thought...what would happen if I moved it up a bit so the sensor was at the top part of my ear instead of at the hole part of the ear.
    So far, in the 3 calls I've made, it seems to have fixed it. Will have to see some more of the next couple days and it does require you to think and focus on how you are holding it but at least I can use the phone.

[​IMG]

2. King Luis macrumors 6502

are you saying that the sensor looks down your ear? LOL cause that would be funny. you have a deep and big ear man. LOL

3. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

Haha no, I'm not saying it's looking down into your ear...but if the sensor falls on the upper, flat part of an ear vs the middle caved-in area, it could cause it to not function properly.

[​IMG]

4. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

That's all fine and good except the sensor sits a few millimeters above the speaker. So if the sensor is far above the ear-canal, the speaker is also. It is not natural or normal to listen to a phone with the speaker held over the tip of the ear rather than over the ear canal.

5. tigert07 macrumors regular

Heres hoping that update helps you out! I've been muting people all kinds by accident with mine =/

6. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

I thought this would be a problem too but it really isn't. It sounds the same since it's close enough to the ear canal, at least for me.

Try it out.

7. HXGuy thread starter macrumors 68000

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Funny, I hold my iPhone 4 like the first picture and I have yet to experience the bug.

9. rywat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm interested in how others hold it as well. When I'm on the phone the only thing touching the phone is my hand and ear. No part of my face is touching the actual screen, so even if the screen comes on no buttons will be pressed.