PRSI Book Club

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Nov 20, 2009.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Quick MR and MRoogle seaches indicate that we haven't done this before. So, I was thinking - why not have a book club. I'm putting it here, because I would learn towards open discussion of topics, regardless of how much contention the views bring in.

I hopefully we can treat the book club selections in a similar way to the photo competition thread in the photo forum from a couple years back, but maybe a little more streamlined. During month A we suggest books, during month B we vote on a list of 5-10, and during month C we discuss it. All three would run concurrently. In the discussion thread for one book, vote for the next month's discussion and name another book that you want to consider for two months down the road in your post. The reading and discussion month would occur at the same time. Folks that read the book more quickly would have more to share sooner, but it is the underlying topics that get unearthed that would be more enjoyable to share. The only things I would ask be included in the suggestion post would be a one sentence summary and a page count. Sounds unwieldy, but I think it could work. Better ideas are always appreciated (plus I'm not sure how I'd narrow down a suggestion list to 5-10).

Yielding to a bit of laziness and an impending baby that will once again destroy my leisure time, I'm going to suggest a book for December - Them - that I happened to start reading a few days ago. I haven't gotten very far, but I find the topic both interesting and oddly en pointe to the current political climate. The writer, Jon Ronson, spent time with folks that are considered extremists/conspiracy theorists and looks at what makes them tick. 336 pages.

Amazon Link, so you can get yourself an ISBN or whatever you need to find it at your library

So, what do you guys think?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Definitely down for this nbs2 it's a great idea :). Unfortunately I'll be away for a while and have already purchased a pile of books to read on the trip but will definitely contribute at a later date. Would be very interesting and increase the breadth of our reading :).

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

The Botany of Desire was one of the most incredible documentaries I've seen in recent years. Which is now a book as well. I recommend it to anyone. At least one epiphany guaranteed.

A nice 6 minute trailer. PBS

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I would be in even though I still have about 60 yet unread books sitting on my shelf. :p

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This looks interesting. Might have to give this a read too. The evolutionary influence of plants on insects and vice-versa is a fascinating topic.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I watched part of this the other day, seemed pretty good.

No I didn't just watch for the marijuana segment. ;)

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This was one of my first thoughts as well. Great book.

9. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The book has been out for a number of years and deals with all four of the plants a little more in depth.

Pollan is a brilliant writer. The first book of his that I read is "Second Nature" and in it he pushes for us to rethink our relationship with nature. For too long it's been adversarial instead of cooperative. The author of "Walden" comes in for a good drubbing.