PRSI Donation Challenge: I will match $1000 to ACLU, NRDC, or EFF

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by oneMadRssn, Dec 22, 2016.

?

Did you donate?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2017.
  1. Yes! ACLU Foundation

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Yes! NRDC

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Yes! EFF

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. I did not donate.

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. oneMadRssn, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2016

oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Hello PRSI Friends,

As the year comes to a close I am thinking about giving to charities, as I usually do. I usually do not spend much time researching charities, and instead I lazily give throughout the year to whatever causes my friends ask of me to give. This year I kicked in some money towards a friend running a race for ALS, another friend riding a bike race for MS, my local brewery raises money for cystic fibrosis, my colleagues collect for a local legal services charity, and more smaller ones I cannot remember.

I read that many charities received a surge in donations following the Trump/Pence election win, as people are concerned that Trump and Pence will cause harm to journalistic free speech, to reproductive rights, to the LGBT community, to privacy protections, to the health of our air, land, and water, to the digital rights.

This giving awesome, as I am sure the charities will be able to put the money to good use and they will spread it out over time. But I also read that the surge was relatively short. Let's see if the PRSI community here can raise some money for good and important charities that are dedicated to ensuring the Trump/Pence administration will have a hard time harming the things we love and taking away our rights.

So here is my idea: A PRSI donation challenge.

I have selected 3 charities that have causes and missions that I believe are important, and ones that I believe those who oppose Trump and Pence can relate to. All the charities are proper 501(c)(3) charities, so the donations are tax deductible. All the charities have a 4-star or better rating on CharityNavigator.org. The selected charities further have large national networks, so I believe they will be able to spend it wisely and in the right areas.

I will match your donations up to $1000.
    I will divide the $1000 between the 3 charities in the same proportion as the PRSI community decides based on their own giving. So if you all decide to only give to one of the charities, then I will give to only that charity; or if you all decide to split it evenly among all 3, then I will split it evenly among all 3.

I also welcome other MacRumors PRSI lurkers to step up and add to my match, if they are able. Anyone willing to throw in another $1000 on top of my mine? Together we can grow the matches, and make the most out of small donations.
    Please donate to one or more of the following charities and I will match your gift up to $1000 total!

American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) Foundation
    https://action.aclu.org/secure/make-tax-deductible-gift-aclu-foundation-1
    "As a supporter of the ACLU Foundation, you help spearhead innovative and groundbreaking civil liberties litigation and public education."
    CharityNavigator: 4/4 stars; 85.2% of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs and services it delivers.
    (Note the ACLU Foundation is the tax-deductible charity, the non-foundation ACLU also participates in lobbying efforts and thus donations are not tax-deductible. Donations to the ACLU Foundation will not used for lobbying.)​
    Natural Resource Defense Council (NRDC)
    https://secure.nrdconline.org/site/Donation2?df_id=15743&15743.donation=form1
    "Donate to the NRDC to help protect the air, land, and water from forces of pollution and corporate greed. Your donation will help us save wildlife and wild places by sponsoring some of the hardest hitting cases and campaigns in defense of nature."
    CharityNavigator: 4/4 stars; 83.6% of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs and services it delivers.

Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF)
    https://supporters.eff.org/donate
    "Protect digital privacy and free expression. EFF's public interest legal work, activism, and software development preserve fundamental rights."
    CharityNavigator: 4/4 stars; 74.9% of the charity’s total expenses spent on the programs and services it delivers.​

In order for me to make the matching gift, please donate and then make a PDF or take a screenshot of your email receipt. Forward the PDF or screenshot to me via MacRumors PM, or email it to onemadrssn@yahoo.com, and I will tally it all up for the matching.

I will keep the donations completely anonymous. I will keep track of the total amounts donated to each charity below, but I will not post who donated and how much. If you want that known, make a post yourself of use the survey above. :)

I will make the matching donation on December 31, 2016 at approximately 3PM eastern. The challenge ends at that time.

Happy Holidays Everyone!

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

An awesome idea, but I won't donate to any of those charities.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

5. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

What don't you like about the EFF?

That is the only non-military charity I donate to so I'm curious.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I prefer to donate to charities that help raise people out of poverty or addiction.

7. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

ACLU does a lot to fight the criminalization of homelessness, poverty, and addition, and advocates for getting folks help instead of throwing them in jail.

8. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

This is probably the thread we have on PRSI. :D

This is a wonderful initiative, thank you for posting this thread!

9. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

On a related note I just got an email from a software developer saying they will donate all the proceeds from their software sales made on Dec 25 and 26 to the ACLU. Not just a percentage. All of it. Their software ranges from about $50 to $400 on current holiday discounts. That’s pretty generous also considering that is something people might be planning to spend their Christmas money on anyway.

Nice to see something more productive than a national tantrum being done.

10. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Glad people are being positive about this. Remember to donate and I will match! Even just $5, every dollar matters!

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Excellent idea! Might I suggest upping it to 5 charities and having a loose referendum here in PRSI to choose two more? On a personal note, I always spend too much on the Holidays, so if the date could be pushed back a little - I'd be able to contribute more...

12. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Put in $25 on EFF that's like $500 Canadian by now

13. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Every year on my birthday since age 13 I decide what charities to regularly donate to for the year. This is a tradition started by my grandfather. It's a fairly strict policy I have with myself, though if an opportunity arises for a one time thing I may choose to donate. I will say it makes it easier to avoid the canvassers on the street and not to forget to setup donations. That way they can't guilt me :D

This year I chose:
    - Alzheimer's Association of America (25%)
    - National Multiple Sclerosis Assoc. (25%)
    - American Red Cross (20%)
    - Children's International (20%)
    - Jewish Joint Distrobution Committee (10%)
    ----------
    - Local Volunteer Ambulance (varies)
    - Local memorial scholarship (varies)

I would never donate to political campaigns or highly political organizations or normally religious institutions. I'm "required" (elected) to donate to a Jewish organization according to the guidelines of a family trust but the JDC actually does very great humanitarian things and has very good ratings.

I donate to Alz and MS because of people I know afflicted with these awful conditions. Red Cross covers many world disasters and I happen to be a receipient of a blood transfusion. I chose Children INTL after being intrigued by a representative, following through with my promise to check them out, and liking the watchdog info.

@oneMadRssn I think it's great to donate to charities and inspire others to do so. I would donate to whomever you feel best represents your concerns, or to divide the money between the three.

The ACLU has done some excellent things thoughout history representing human rights from religion to gay marriage. At the same time, they remain a very controversial organization which I don't like. Probably the most notable example would be defending neo-Nazis right to march in a Jewish neighborhood full of Holocaust survivors. Some people see it as glorious example unwavering support of rights, I see it as endorsing a hate group without taking into consideration the big picture. (I would argue if they want to march fine, but maybe at a more agreeable location).

Environmental projects I'm always leery of TBH, though I think the environment is a paramount concern (even if one doesn't "believe" global warming/climate change). Things to be aware of - Even if the money is well distributed between administrative costs and actual projects, there is a lot of fraud, abuse, and waste in environmentalism right now. Of the money that is spent charitably (non-admin) how much actually goes to the project after the contractors, insurance, potential unrelated investors are involved and such? Does the project actually have a beneficial outcome? What are the odds? Does the opportunity cost to the environment justify the potential environmental outcomes? Have unforeseen consequences been assessed? Is the project viable long term? Environmental projects tend to have a lot of issues that no one cares about as long as it "sounds good". I don't know much about the EDF, but I'd just make sure you dig very deep in your research to ensure they're the best choice for your specific environmental interests.

The EFF sounds like something I'm on board with- digital rights and privacy. That said, I wouldn't consider it as one of the most pressing world issues. Personally I like to allocate my charitable donations more to funds that support more life-vs-death humanitarian and health causes. But I understand you have a political motivation behind your donations (and of course I don't know what other donations you may make).

Anyways, I hope whatever you decide your funds will be put to any of the admirable causes you have cited. Great work getting people motivated to donate. No good deed goes unpunished.

Happy Giving!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    P.S. To anyone who donates or is not in a position to donate, I feel the most rewarding thing you can do is donate your time. Currently I donate my time vaccinating disenfranchised communities as well as providing Narcan (opiate overdose antidote) administration training primarily for parents, police, fire departments, teachers, and other community members. Heroin and fentanyl is a huge problem in the northeast and Narcan is the best tool we have to combat overdoses. The more people trained and kits in people's hands the better.

14. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

That's a great idea! I had a few others on my shortlist, like the ADL or IRAP. I don't really want to change the rules after a few folks have already donated though. I will do that next year though!

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I typically donate to sick kids (the charity org), we went to one of their hospitals when my daughter was younger, best experience bar none. cant go wrong helping kids fight medical battles.

16. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

okay, dumb question. how the heck do I send an email through this system?

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Dang. I wish you'd posted this a week ago. I just gave $25 to Wikipedia. I'd have been equally happy giving it to the EFF.

18. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

If you click on a username, there is a link to "start a conversation"
    upload_2016-12-23_10-12-8.png

Alternatively, there is an envelope button in the top right corner of the site
    upload_2016-12-23_10-12-46.png

19. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

yeah. there looks to be no way to add an attachment to that. the forum help mentions sending an email but the help seems a little out of date.

20. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I've been able to just copy and paste images into there. I suppose I could share my email too. You can email me the receipt to onemadrssn@yahoo.com

21. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Update:

So far we have raised $75, 100% is going to EFF!

This is awesome, but remember that I'm matching up to $1000 before the end of the year! Keep them coming!

22. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

23. oneMadRssn, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016

oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Update:

So far we have raised $125, 60% to EFF and 40% to ACLU.

I'm making the matching donation tomorrow, so hurry up and get me your receipts!

24. oneMadRssn thread starter macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Donating in approximately 6 hours. Get you last-minute tax-deductable donations in for tax year 2016!

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead