PRSI: Tim Cook Meets With Speaker of the House John Boehner

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sky Blue, May 15, 2012.

1. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Did Boehner have a little cry while Cook was there?

2. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

apple's hurting right now they need all the money they can get.

:rolleyes:

3. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

My thoughts exactly.

4. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You know what, Apple? ****** YOU. And I say this as a stockholder. We can afford to pay our taxes due. We're not a struggling company that will go under because of a tax bill.

The US is sometimes too lenient. That's why we are so in debt. Corporate profits need to be properly taxed. The infrastructure and framework under which these companies succeeded needs to be paid for.

If this costs me some small percentage of the stock price, it's money well spent to not be freeloading cheapskates. Times are tough for the US budget.

5. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Idk, apple has 110 Billion dollars, why do they keep getting handouts? It doesn't seem right....

6. Undecided, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

Undecided macrumors 6502a

I would think that Boehner would not oppose it. I think it's an issue for Obama.

7. PsudoPowerPoint macrumors regular

I'd be happy to see Apple get a tax holiday if there were guarantees that the repatriated funds were pumped into the US economy in the next few years.

8. dokujaryu macrumors 6502

dokujaryu

Boner: Tax holiday? Can we go to the beach?
    Cook: Yes! That's where we keep the money.

9. emvath macrumors regular

"C'mon John...please? I'll throw in a free iPad!"

10. H. Flower macrumors 6502

You are in competition with other companies though, no?

11. 314631 macrumors 6502a

The Republicans do need to move on this. It's vital that they understood the importance of allowing global corps to repatriate dollars and put America back to work. This could be a real election winner for Team Romney.

12. 1=1? macrumors regular

1=1?

13. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

14. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    As if slave labor in China wasn't enough. You would think Apple would be happy enough with not having to employ Americans, but no....

Now the most prosperous USA Based Company is trying to dodge the American people and figure out how to cheat the system with the help of the GOP.

It's equivalent to theft from the poor.

Also in a time of economic crisis.

We pay our fair share in taxes. So should Apple.

15. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Unfortunately your reasoning is asinine. This doesn't put people to work. It makes it easy to push dollars offshore and wait for a repatriation holiday. Perhaps you should look at the results from 2004. See it's not that they're lying about goals (repatriating funds). They're lying about the anticipated results, and there's no way to force them.

Also if you haven't figured out by now that politicians generally do not have public interest in mind, you are a very sad person:p.

16. sazivad macrumors 6502

17. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

Apple is getting sleazier by the moment these days--I guess several hundred billion dollars will do that.

18. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

"it is unknown what the topic of discussion was"

Be civil people, this is no place for a discussion on politics or your opinions on how X party is ruining everything.

19. 3282868 macrumors 603

I used to be so politically active, now I'm extremely jaded. I hate politics, on both sides.

Nothing gets done, bills get watered down as compromises, corporations are getting more and more tax breaks, the Supreme Court's 5/4 ruling allowing corporations to be recognized as "persons" has abolished campaign reform and further blurred corporate and government sects, checks and balances have become a joke as lawyers play with the laws our founding fathers established to keep the government by the people for the people in check, and companies continue to circumvent tax laws and produce more overseas while American education is cut and jobs are suffering. While our elected officials fight, we pay the price.

Unless this is true and those tax breaks are spent on our national economy, I'll also be very disappointed in Apple. :(

20. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

don't worry people "trickle down" economics will save the day. I mean, the Bush tax cuts have been around since, well, Bush. And things have only gotten better from 2000 and on right?

Proof that trickle down economics works.

21. Undecided macrumors 6502a

We have the highest corporate tax rates in the world! If they were more reasonable, like say 15%, or even 17%, companies wouldn't go to great lengths to keep the money out. 15% of something is better than 35% of nothing.

22. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

23. Kid A macrumors regular

pardon my ignorance, but what does "PRSI" mean? i tried googling it to no avail. i googled "PRSI post count", hoping that giving the acronym context would help. THIS thread, quoting your post, was the second result. not even kidding. recursive search results aren't very helpful... :eek:

24. Mr. Gates macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Apple is welcome to move to China.

Nobody is stopping them, but they don't.

Why do you think that is ?

25. jontech macrumors 6502

can't blame Apple for doing what is legal to protect their assets.

The US needs to balance their budget