Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snofseth

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
I will be getting a PS2 or XBOX pretty soon which one should I get?

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
get both.... the prices will tumble come christmas/new year time (if you can be bothered to wait)... especially the PS2 as Sony are losing money like a sieve holds water.

dr_fate

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2003
GAMECUBE! If you don't already have it, this is the system to get. Only 100 dollars for pure gaming bliss with killer exclusives like Zelda, Metroid, and Eternal Darkness. If you do have it, then get a PS2 but wait for the price drop which is coming soon. I'm picking up a PS2 when that happens to play the new Castlevania, Final Fantasy and next year's Metal Gear Solid 3.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Originally posted by edesignuk
You two saying GameCube...stop smoking that stuff! :eek: :D

Seriously, I played all three of them. I don't want to start another of those 'PS2 vs XBOX vs GC' discussions, but if quality of game is not measured by amount of blood spilled on the screen or you don't play sport sim games too much, IMHO GameCube beats PS2 or XBOX.

Nintendo is something like Apple of console gaming. And GC uses IBM's PowerPC processor :) .

Edit: But if I had to choose between PS2 or XBOX, I would go with PS2. Not only PS2 has more games but you can run Linux on it.

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Originally posted by dr_fate
GAMECUBE! If you don't already have it, this is the system to get. Only 100 dollars for pure gaming bliss with killer exclusives like Zelda, Metroid, and Eternal Darkness. If you do have it, then get a PS2 but wait for the price drop which is coming soon. I'm picking up a PS2 when that happens to play the new Castlevania, Final Fantasy and next year's Metal Gear Solid 3.

Don't forget the ultra-schwey Viewtiful Joe!
Love that game.

But, I say XBox. Best graphics and some killer games (a la Halo, KOTOR, DOA 3, DOA X, Gunvalkyrie).
Also coming soon Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, and GTA 3 and Vice City.

I have all three and they all have strengths, but the Cube has the fewest games, period.

-jeff

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
the title of this thread is ps2 or xbox...

which means its obvious snofseth does want a gamecube...so stop mentioning it

industry00

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2001
But if I had to choose between PS2 or XBOX, I would go with PS2. Not only PS2 has more games but you can run Linux on it. [/B][/QUOTE]

You can run Linux on the XBOX as well... http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ It isn't as easy as the ps2 to set up but the xbox has more power. If you are into hacking and extending the use of your game console then the Xbox is the best choice (and I hate Microsoft, so saying that kinda makes me feel sick). Just my 2cents

dr_fate

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2003
Originally posted by monkeydo_jb
Don't forget the ultra-schwey Viewtiful Joe!
Love that game.

But, I say XBox. Best graphics and some killer games (a la Halo, KOTOR, DOA 3, DOA X, Gunvalkyrie).
Also coming soon Ninja Gaiden, Halo 2, and GTA 3 and Vice City.

I have all three and they all have strengths, but the Cube has the fewest games, period.

-jeff

WOW! How could I miss VJ?! I got it the day of its release and still play it every day even though I've beaten it a bunch of times and have all the unlockables. What a brain-fart. Yes, the cube is worth it for Viewtiful Joe alone.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
Originally posted by industry00

You can run Linux on the XBOX as well... http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/ It isn't as easy as the ps2 to set up but the xbox has more power. If you are into hacking and extending the use of your game console then the Xbox is the best choice (and I hate Microsoft, so saying that kinda makes me feel sick). Just my 2cents

I know, but it is not officialy sanctioned and requires a console mod (or that 007 game?) Lot of people are buying XBOX+ModChip to serve as cheap PC (and make some loss for M$). But PS2 Linux Kit is official Sony distribution.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I've had all three and sold my Xbox and PS2 because I only really used the Gamecube. I haven't looked back on the loss of the PS2, but I do sort of long for the Xbox, and will probably pick up a new one after the next price drop. I don't know if that tells you anything.

For what it's worth, I do more gaming on my Mac than on any dedicated platform.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well i have all 3 and play my gamecube the least, ps2 next least. i prefer the xbox, better graphics plus a nice hard drive and the best online gaming service compared to ps2. but honestly it comes down to games. what games do you want to play, that is the biggest factor. but for me all the systems are pretty cheap so instead of choosing i ened up buying all 3 over time.

iJon

monkeydo_jb

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2002
Columbia, MO
Originally posted by iJon
well i have all 3 and play my gamecube the least, ps2 next least. i prefer the xbox, better graphics plus a nice hard drive and the best online gaming service compared to ps2. but honestly it comes down to games. what games do you want to play, that is the biggest factor. but for me all the systems are pretty cheap so instead of choosing i ened up buying all 3 over time.

iJon

My situation is identical. Got all three and use the cube the least, then ps2, and
then XBox.

However, Viewtiful Joe is one of my favorite games of all time. Pick it up and give
it a whirl.

-jeff

Maclarny

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
MN
XBOX-no doubt about it. The games are there and more great titles are coming. Im obsessed with Knights of the Old Republic right now (For consoles- Xbox exclusive). Halo 2 is simly going to kick the crap out of any other game in existence. Plus if you're into GTA they have a double pack with GTA and Vice City coming out for Xbox. Apart from games Xbox is definately the graphics leader. The hard drive is a god send of convienience (no messing with memory packs). It's so easy to have massive multi-player games (think 16 player Halo). I also own a GC but you have to understand that the systems are so different with respect to tilt and games. As for the PS2 it's time to realize that it's going out of the loop. XBOX all the way.

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Dreamcast:) well thats what I have, so I can play all the arcade classics, but I would recomend the the Systems in this order (Panasonic GC) X-Box, Game Cube, PS2.

Why? X-Box has a harddrive+plays DVD and has I wide selection of quality games. The game play is fast, although not as gast as the Dreamcast. GameCube is fantastic but can't play DVD's unless you get the panasonic one, also the games are really fun, controller is a little weird at first.

PS2, The controler has undergone no ergonomic upgrades since it was released in 1996, the gameplay is terribley slow, and the loading time is poor by todays standards.

If you like Sega Rally 2, Daytona 2001, CrazyTaxi, Sonic, and fast arcade style gameplay buy the Dreamcast, but since the tech is no longer supported I would by the X-Box, or the Game Cube

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
get them all!

have you guys noticed alot of the exclusive titles are starting to part ways? grand theft auto will be released on all systems now, and so will the metal gear solid titles! the real killer is that MGS will be different on the different systems! you have to buy all of them to get the most out of them! Twin Snakes for GC is actually a revamped MGS:Solid Snake! oh no! sacrilege! square soft is also bringing out a final fantasy game for game cube as well. what world are we living in?

i would follow the flock and grab a PS2. is the price $99 yet? i skimmed through the replies too quickly!

bentmywookie

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2002
Palo Alto
I have all 3 as well and I would HIGHLY recommend the PS2 over the XBox for sure (and in the end probably even over the Gamecube as well).

The thing is, Xbox is the most powerful hands-down. However, in my opinion, PS2 has the best games PLUS you get the whole PS1 library which has some amazing games on it too. If Xbox weren't by MS, it would have been dead by now, but MS has the resources to keep it going (despite the tons of money they lose on it).

I might have said Gamecube prior to the summer, but after seeing Nintendo's new "strategy" at E3 i.e., worthless GC-GBA link-up, I have lost serious faith in Nintendo.

Also, while I'll admit it's not as bad as it was with Nintendo 64 - Gamecube is still primarily a 1st party machine. Nintendo really needs to work on getting the amazing 3rd party support they had in the SNES days.

In my opinion, PS2 has become the Super Nintendo of today, and we all know that Super Nintendo was the sh*t!

So . . . in closing, buy a Gameboy Advance for that old school gaming you really need, but if you must buy either a PS2 or Xbox, you will get 10000x your money's worth if you go with PS2, despite it's processing and graphics inferiority.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.