PS3 with GTA V for 199€

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by megasad, Dec 16, 2013.

1. megasad macrumors member

Is this a good deal?

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00DCN0VFQ

Or would people recommend waiting until the new year?

I'm in no rush to play the game but that looks like a good price.

2. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Yeah that's a great deal, that's like £169 which is £100 cheaper than the UK price for the same bundle :eek: got to love Amazon de ;)

Go for it :D

3. megasad, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

megasad thread starter macrumors member

It was such a good deal it's all sold out :)

That's okay, I'd never actually take the time to play the game, just had fond memories of driving my tank across the waves, shooting up yachts. Maybe when it drops to 99€ in a few more years ;)

And then it was 199€ again, http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00GXU1CQC, I bought it anyway. I will explode so many yachts!

Also, I don't even have a TV, so I'm looking forward to seeing what this looks like on my Dell U2713HM.

4. megasad thread starter macrumors member

One more question; can I swap out the PS3's hard drive before switching it on even once? I'd like to put the 500GB drive it comes with into an old MacBook I have, put the MacBook's 250GB drive into the PS3. But will the drive that comes with the PS3 have some special sauce on it that the machine needs to do the initial setup? Or am I overthinking this?

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You can do that ....

6. megasad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think it would have worked fine, only I didn't realise that the PS3 comes with a 7mm HDD rather than a 9.5mm one. When I put it in the 2006 MacBook, it rattled around, was not held firmly in place. And so the 500GB stays in the PS3 :)

7. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Personally I think it looks like quite an amazing deal. Seriously considering on buying it even though I already have a PS3 (it's just some 2,000km away from me about 2/3 of the year). I'm just worried about my finals grades dropping off a cliff :p :D

8. megasad thread starter macrumors member

It looks to have gone back up to 269€, so I'm glad I bought it when I did. Did you get (another) one yourself?

However, it is most definitely a massive time-suck; I wanted to play for just an hour last night and ended up playing until 5am o_O

The island is massive and very fun to explore, I repeatedly skydive (without a parachute) instead of driving or taking a taxi. Gliding in along a valley is a wonderful feeling :)

And to respond to myself, it works very well on my monitor. I pipe the sound via a 3.5mm cable from the back of the monitor into my MacBook's audio port and then output to either the built-in speakers (when I need to be quiet) or to my stereo via Bluetooth (when I can shake the house with explosions).

The only sad thing is that the Blu-ray drive of the PS3 is very loud and because the game needs to constantly fetch assets from the disc, it's constantly spinning and whirring.

Knowing this now, I would have got an Xbox 360 instead, as I understand that you can do the mandatory install to the hard drive and then copy the second disc to a USB stick. Further details can be read at IGN.

Finally, sadly, though you can activate "Moon Gravity", the cars stop working once they touch water and the wheels no longer turn sideways, Back to the Future II style. So though I can explode boats and jetskis from the shore or from another boat, I can no longer smash them up with my hover tank.

Finally finally, I make bullets have the power of rockets, one hit and a car explodes instantly! It makes for very productive rampages.

Finally finally finally, I give myself explosive kicks and punches and then merely tapping a vehicle makes it go up in a fireball. Wheee!

9. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

This is interesting as I own a PS3 Slim too and the drive isn't loud at all :confused: are you sure you're PS3 isn't defective?

10. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Unfortunately I didn't :( I spent too much time deciding whether I should or not, and then when I decided to go for it the price was over 300€(!). But I guess good thing I didn't, my current exams are enough of a time-suck as is :p but I definitely want to try the game out sometime soon!