Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PSA: Apple Print Products Store Dropping Support for iPhoto and Aperture on March 31

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhoto and Aperture were discontinued in the spring of 2015 when Photos for OS X launched as part of OS X Yosemite 10.10.3, but the software continues to be used by many Mac owners who previously had it installed on their machines.

Though Aperture and iPhoto are not available in the Mac App Store and are no longer being updated, the software has remained functional with OS X Yosemite and OS X El Capitan. As of March 31, however, one feature will be disappearing -- the ability to order photo books, prints, and other content created within the two apps. Starting on that date, the Apple Print Products Store will no longer support Aperture or iPhoto.

As noted by a MacRumors tipster and the Apple Support forums, iPhoto and Aperture are now notifying customers who order books or prints about the imminent discontinuation of the feature. Apple employees have also been letting customers know that the printing ability will no longer be available, but Apple doesn't appear to have made an official support document announcing the change.

Photo books, cards, calendars, prints, and more can be created using the Photos for OS X app, which replaced both Aperture and iPhoto.

(Thanks, Mark!)

Article Link: PSA: Apple Print Products Store Dropping Support for iPhoto and Aperture on March 31

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
I was literally not aware this stuff made it into Photos, despite looking. It's in none of the menus. I went to vistaprint last week to get prints made. :(

It turns out, I was supposed to hit the "+" button on photos, which I assumed meant "add to album" or some other dingbat feature. How is "+" meant to convey "Create a Photo Album project". I never would have clicked that had this article not informed me that the feature was, indeed, still in Photos somewhere. I should have spent a few more minutes looking around. I guess I prefer the obviousness of iPhoto.

Discoverability does not mean "keep clicking buttons to see what they do".

Comment

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I believe the article should read, "Yosemite 10.10.3" not "11"
You are right, it was the first thing I noticed too. Photos came with OS X Yosemite 10.10.3. The linked page has the correct version number.

The current version of OS X is OS X El Capitan 10.11.3.
[doublepost=1458181515][/doublepost]

I encourage people to do that all the time, and just remind them there is always the escape key, a cancel button, or a close box/button to get out of anything that might cause problems. Not to mention the dangerous stuff likes to ask "Are you sure?".

Last edited:
Comment

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I was literally not aware this stuff made it into Photos, despite looking. It's in none of the menus. I went to vistaprint last week to get prints made. :(

It turns out, I was supposed to hit the "+" button on photos, which I assumed meant "add to album" or some other dingbat feature. How is "+" meant to convey "Create a Photo Album project". I never would have clicked that had this article not informed me that the feature was, indeed, still in Photos somewhere. I should have spent a few more minutes looking around. I guess I prefer the obviousness of iPhoto.

Sure it does. You should know, since we have been using computers for years now, right?

Skeuomorphism is not necessary. Ever. Abstract is better than intuitive. Always.

That's the current Apple UI design philosophy: the Guessing Game.

Welcome to the Apple "Ive"y Garden. Mr. Jobs and his design sense are buried somewhere outside the fence.

Comment

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

Apple is making things way too confusing.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Apple must not like its customers, or perhaps they assume we like being forced to use their inferior new software. That's OK, there are lots of print shops out there that do an excellent job.

iPhoto was not exactly a breakthrough piece of software. It was so bloated and slow.

Reactions: Aldaris
Comment

Canubis

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Vienna, Austria
Boy, this seriously sucks! Aperture had one of the best photo book editors. Possible to use templates and at the same time being able to move everything around freely. It could have used an update here and there but it was still better than any other software and a lot less work than completely doing it from scratch in Photoshop or InDesign…
So now I can still use its editor but not buy the book in the end anymore. Is it possible to export the books as PDF and print them somewhere else?

Would it really kill Apple to keep this damn web server script running to receive a PDF and payment data from Aperture?!

Comment

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I miss the old iTunes where it would play psychedelic graphics on the screen of your computer that responded to the beats of the song you were playing. That was so cool, and made a nice background as the music played.
You can still turn on the 'classic' visuals.
[doublepost=1458187972][/doublepost]
Hell I'm still using iWeb! :D
Me too! After trying a few other options went back to iWeb, cause none were close.

Reactions: orbital~debris
Comment

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Oh ffs - I have 2 photo books I've been working on for a long time in iPhoto, don't have the chance to get them done before this -_-.

Reactions: trifid
Comment

yvr

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012

[doublepost=1458191834][/doublepost]Or, you could go to the File menu and select "create calendar," "create card," "create book," "order prints." ;)

Comment

Jason83

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2014
PA, USA
Sure it does. You should know, since we have been using computers for years now, right?

Skeuomorphism is not necessary. Ever. Abstract is better than intuitive. Always.

That's the current Apple UI design philosophy: the Guessing Game.

Welcome to the Apple "Ive"y Garden. Mr. Jobs and his design sense are buried somewhere outside the fence.

Blame the obnoxious idiots who incessantly posted how a digital facsimile of a notebook should in no way resemble a notebook.

Reactions: melendezest
Comment

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
I miss the old iTunes where it would play psychedelic graphics on the screen of your computer that responded to the beats of the song you were playing. That was so cool, and made a nice background as the music played.
That is still there, while in iTunes just hit Command-T or check out the visualiser options in the View menu.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.