Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mylittlepwny

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2018
I recently struggled for a day or so with a strange fullscreen video bug with my dual display setup that I finally traced down to my Logitech gaming mice and their 1000Hz polling rate.

My setup is as follows:
2018 15" MBP plugged into 4k TV with anker 4k60 adapter
Logitech G305 mouse plugged into type C adapter (also happens with G-Pro wired version)
I usually have Chrome up on the TV playing Youtube or Plex video in full screen while I work on mac screen

With any video playing in fullscreen on the second display, whenever moving the mouse on the main display the video would drop frames wildly and become unwatchable. This would happen with any video regardless of quality but only happen in Chrome, only when the video is in fullscreen, and would only drop frames when the cursor moves on the display not showing the video. Moving the cursor with the trackpad or a bluetooth mouse would not cause the video to stutter. This behavior led me to suspect my Logitech gaming mice, and to my astonishment turning the polling rate from 1000Hz to 500Hz or lower seems to fix the issue.

What I find strange is that the problem doesn't happen in Safari, and only in Chrome when full screen. I wonder if it has something to do with software vs hardware decoding...

Anyone else had this problem?

Just thought I'd pass this on in case anyone else is feeling like throwing their laptop across the room like I was yesterday when trying to figure out why my video playback was so choppy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.