PSA: Halloween Candy Trigger Warning

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I love those orange and black candies in the old timer graphic.
Tootsie Rolls? They're definitely a candy that's gone the way of the dodo. I was always a fan of candy corn. I still am.

Edit: Whoops, being bleary eyed I misread the poster.
[doublepost=1508972997][/doublepost]
You mean those non-descript toffee like, somewhat molasses tasting things? used to love those. And Rockets (Smarties for you Americans).
No? You're confused. The black labels were always this coffee flavored toffee. The caramel colored ones were Werther's Originals, which I loved or butterscotch. Though I think the orange candy in that is the butterscotch. Surprised to see people don't like Bit O Honey. It, Abba Zabba and a few others were how I tasted American candy for the first time as a wee little boy. I definitely like the old school stuff a lot.

I think the only junk food esque candy I've never seen the point of was the Three Muskateers bars. Useless! My guilty pleasure used to be eating an extra king size Milky Way in the dark chocolate or all caramel variant. Throw it in the freezer for an hour and then eat it, albeit slowly, for the next half hour.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Contributor
Jan 2, 2011
I usually only get young kids accompanied with their parents.

I hand out glow bracelets to the kids and let the parents choose airline sized bottles of booze from a basket. I can only think of one time where I was tempted to give the parent a condom instead.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I always liked a variety of different types of candy. Because of our location, we don't get the spooks anymore. But I do take advantage of the holiday and grab us some candy.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009

I hand out glow bracelets to the kids and let the parents choose airline sized bottles of booze from a basket. I can only think of one time where I was tempted to give the parent a condom instead.
Do you dress up as Ebeneezer Scrooge at the local rec center each Christmas, too?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
Gourd City

Nothing quite like passive-aggressive treats. The best part: this strategy also works for Christmas or birthday gifts.

Reactions: Gutwrench

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
We always have given out full-sized Hershey bars.

Of course we get maybe 10 kids. We make s'mores with the leftovers. LOL.
It varies from year to year, but at 250-400 kids, I can't afford that. So CheapyMcCheapface it is. But I provide some nice decorations, so it's not like they don't get something out of the visit. :D

missbing

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
We get around 300+ kids a year and usually give full size candy bars. Thank goodness for Costco. This year we're going to do full size for the first 200 kids and fun size for the rest. We already spent too much on extra decorations and booing.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Did they have an entourage of children or something?

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
No? You're confused. The black labels were always this coffee flavored toffee. The caramel colored ones were Werther's Originals, which I loved or butterscotch. Though I think the orange candy in that is the butterscotch. Surprised to see people don't like Bit O Honey. It, Abba Zabba and a few others were how I tasted American candy for the first time as a wee little boy. I definitely like the old school stuff a lot.

I think the only junk food esque candy I've never seen the point of was the Three Muskateers bars. Useless! My guilty pleasure used to be eating an extra king size Milky Way in the dark chocolate or all caramel variant. Throw it in the freezer for an hour and then eat it, albeit slowly, for the next half hour.
The unmarked orange and black ones are soft'ish and taffy-like, with a sort of dented appearance. That's just a bad drawing of what they're talking about.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
The unmarked orange and black ones are soft'ish and taffy-like, with a sort of dented appearance. That's just a bad drawing of what they're talking about.

Is that anything like the saltwater taffy sold at candy stores?

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
When I was a kid, there was a candy similar to a Necco wafer but thinner and actually wafer like. I haven't seen it since and that's a long, long time ago. At the time, our neighbors owned a small haberdashery and they had a small selection of candies you could buy for the US equivalent of a nickel or a dime at the time.

I loved those things so much. It came in only one flavor. Bitter honey lemon. Maybe it was medicinal, but my god I loved munching on those. It was probably a small time candy company that was regional to the general area.

I'm sure if I ate it today I'd find it disgusting. You tend to develop your palette as the decades pass by.

Edit: Oh, does anyone know that weird taffy candy from the eighties that had these poprock type of glittery-like crystals in it. On one side, I think, or both. Taffy was sweet and the "seasoning" was sour as heck. The taffy bars themselves were pretty big and thick. Maybe the size of two decks of cards placed length to length and the thickness of maybe a quarter inch. The wrappers were usually dark or tye-die themed. Those things took hours to eat but they were amazing.

Edit 2: I stopped consuming candy in the 90s but I remember my focus being on War Heads drops then. They were dirt cheap then and I'd buy bags of the stuff before leaving for travel and bought a ton of them and other candy when on US assignment later on. It was really for kids to have something sweet and special in poverty stricken areas of east Europe. Looking back, that was a stupid move.

Last edited: