iPad PSA: If you're unsure if you want the iPad Mini go test one out

Discussion in 'iPad' started by darabo, Oct 27, 2013.

1. darabo macrumors member

For those who keep asking if either the Retina Mini or the full size iPad is right for you just can go to any store that sells the iPad Mini and test it out.

The Retina Mini is the same size and approximately the same weight as the current iPad Mini, so it's a good way to tell if you'd prefer the Mini or the full size iPad.

I realized this yesterday when I saw the Mini in a hands on display and remembered it while in another thread.

Other than that we'll have to wait and see with the iPad Air!

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Respectfully, I disagree. Checking out the current mini will give you a feel for how the mini will feel in your hand -- that will not change with the retina mini. But for many people, the retina screen is going to make a difference in their viewing experience. Some things that may look too small / blurry on the non- retina mini might look fine on retina. This varies greatly from individual to individual. So IMO, people trying to decide between retina mini and Air should wait until the retina mini comes out to do a comparison.

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

5 minutes in the store is not going to provide a total answer.

That is my PSA.

4. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

This is good advice, but keep in mind that the Retina Mini is heavier than the current model.

.68 (.69 with LTE) is the regular Mini weight, .73 (.75 with LTE) is the new model. So, not a big difference but hardcore users of the Mini will likely notice it feel a little bit heavier, especially when you incorporate a Smart Cover and other utilities like that.

The real thing people need to decide about which iPad they want is whether or not they want to handle their tablet with one hand or two, because even if the iPad Air is much lighter, the size is still pretty big and likely unwisely for one handed use. Also, of course, the extra screen size plays a factor too.

5. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

There are still too many unknowns.

The big one being, we haven't held an Air in our hands, so we don't know how that will feel.

And as equally significant, is the A7 in the retina mini the same as the A7 in the Air.

I for one don't think it will be, which is going to upset a few people on here.

However, I could be wrong.

6. Tobster3 macrumors 6502

I disagree. I want to see what the difference is in size and weight with the Mini and the Air holding them in front of me.

7. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

Heat would be another consideration. My iPad 3 gets considerably warmer than the other iPads, so the same MAY be true of the Retina Mini.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think the feel of the iPad Air in the hand will be a definite selling point, especially if you are familiar with the prior models. Mini users may not be as impressed with the Air, but iPad 2/3/4 user will be.

9. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

10. akm3 macrumors 68020

Why did you exclude iPad 1 users? I want to be impressed with the Air too! :) It feels soooo old now.

11. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

iPad 1 users should be positively blown away by the thinness and lightness of the iPad Air! :D

12. akm3 macrumors 68020

The iPad 2 was a lot lighter than the iPad 1, but the weight crept up until the current iPad 4 is 1.44lbs vs the 1.5lbs of the original iPad, so it's not THAT much lighter. The curved back on the iPad one was very pleasant to hold, the iPad 3 and 4 felt chunky some how.

I'm hoping to be blown away yes.

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Why?

There is a large group of people here that think anyone worth anything already has an Ipad 4 and/or the Mini. They may acknowledge come people have the Ipad3.

But, anything older than that? Pretty much outside the realm of possibility.

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have a friend who has an iPad 1. I still have an original iPhone. THE iPhone. And it works and looks great. A little fat, and I can make out the pixels, but it is AMAZING what we thought was bleeding edge just a few short years ago.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Lol, I still have mine, too. Fat and heavy but if you're using it without a case, the rounded edges feel much nicer in the hand compared to newer iPhones. :)

16. The.Dude macrumors regular

The.Dude

PSA:

If you are unsure whether you want white or black, go test one out.

Can this be stickied now?

:D