PSA: Late 2013 MBP to be classified Vintage end of September. Get any service you need done soon.

milhous

macrumors member
Original poster
May 17, 2007
Sadly, even with only 300 recharge cycles, my late 2013 15-inch MacBook Pro's battery has begun to slowly swell from the bottom (battery failure). I noticed this as the machine doesn't lay completely flat (the front two rubber feet don't make contact with the surface, with a sheen developing on the center bottom cover from scratches and surface friction from the swelling).

I took the machine to a Genius yesterday and was told that it requires a top cover replacement, cost $199, and would request, but not yet guarantee that he'd be able to get the part in. When asked if it would be a depot repair, the Genius said that a depot repair couldn't be done because of the swelling battery, and would be performed in-store upon receiving the part. He also said that while a repair typically includes a 90-day warranty, that it would likely be invalidated because this machine will be classified as a Vintage product at the end of this month. Should the need arise, I'd likely have to contact AppleCare to escalate any potential issues. I'm not in the market for a new machine now and need this one to last a bit longer. So I agreed to the repair and am waiting to hear back on when I can drop the machine off for service. He said it was ok to continue using it in the meantime.

TL;DR: If you have any outstanding issues on your Late 2013 MBP that need attention, please take it in for service before the end of this month, as getting service on Vintage products will be next to impossible.

Kadvani041387

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for the kind heads up. My mid 2012 15 inch retina MacBook Pro is now considered vintage. If something happens to it, it's pretty much done for unfortunately. I love the machine, but it's no longer serviceable.......=(

pshufd

macrumors 68000
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
That's a shame as I'm typing this on a 2014 which may be vintaged next year. I find it's got lots of horsepower to do real work though.

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
Third parties like this guy service those computers. Apple isn't the only or best option depending on your computer: