PSA: no need to swipe with Touch ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rufuss Sewell, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Rufuss Sewell macrumors 6502

I know most of you probably know this, but I just figured it out. I had been waking the phone, swiping, then using Touch ID. Today I realized that you can skip right to Touch ID from the swipe page with no need to swipe!

I'm finding Touch ID is even easier than the previous iPhone with no pass protection since I don't even need to swipe.

2. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

You don't even need to lift your finger from waking it up @ the home button.

Talk about fast!

3. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

It would have been cool if you can just place your finger and it would wake and unlock. I hate hitting the power button, then placing my finger.

4. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

It's no different than any other previous iphone, you always had to click the home or power button. But now with touch ID it's faster as you don't need to slide to unlock and enter your password, just click the home button and leave your finger there and it will unlock all in one motion.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

Umm, you essentially can...

Wake by clicking the Home button. Leave finger in place for TouchId unlock. Done.

I used to do the Sleep/Wake button then move finger to a home button thing until I realized its just a lot easier to wake the phone with the home button and not move my finger.

6. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

you click it and then have to let go of pushing down or else siri will start talking..

7. schizbomb macrumors 6502

push the home button, release it but leave your finger on it.

Under 1 second, fluid unlock. Can't imagine anyone adding extra steps.

8. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

This^

It took how many posts to clarify what I was saying? Come on DaveFelix

9. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

That's why I didn't said "click" not "press and hold"...

Sorry, I didn't realize I needed to be so specific.

11. fiat macrumors newbie

Maybe not to add extra steps, but I have found another way to do it: first place finger on home button for one second (sort of letting the sensor scan fingerprint), then click it; immediately unlocked and enter home page! Work for all fingers I have setup every time.

12. Rufuss Sewell thread starter macrumors 6502

Placing my finger for a second then clicking doesn't work for me.

But clicking, releasing and holding works.

13. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

Dude I completely understand lol I just had the impression you place your finger it unlocks. I've been doing it the way you've explained and it is much quicker. When I had the iPhone 5 I always used the sleep/wake button to wake. I just have to change my ways. No big deal :)

----------

It's pretty sick.

I understood. It's just weird doing it at first. You know how finicky these home buttons are.

14. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

the touch id is insanely fast... you can't even type a digit code faster than the touch id

15. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

I would beg to differ :p, I can type 0000 faster than you can hold your finger,

16. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

The first time I did the "press and hold" to unlock it really surprised me how fast it all worked. It's funny back when I had my 4S and the 5S was coming out, I thought to myself "fingerprint scanner, how stupid" and now I think it's so convenient. In reality it only saves 2 seconds, but just the fact that you dont have to enter a pass code anymore is awesome.

17. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

Nope, if you both press home button at the same time I will be in before you can swipe and then press 0000

18. fiat macrumors newbie

Too bad, Rufuss. It works for me every time. Now I am even shocked that I can almost see lock page (swipe page) no more because it enters home page right after I click home button! -- it's even faster than turning off passcode protection (you still have to swipe to unlock).