PSA: Verizon postpaid just introduced a new 5gb plan for the same price as their old $55/mo 2gb plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hal~9000, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Previously I was on Verizon's cheapest postpaid single line plan of $55/mo for 2GB, but just saw this deal on Slickdeals that for the same monthly price I can now get 5gb of data so I thought I'd share for the other Verizon peeps on the forum:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/5gb-for-55/
    • For single line accounts (or at least accounts with only 1 smartphone on it)
    • $40 for 5gb + $20 smartphone line fee - $5 autopay discount = $55/mo
    • Eligible for employer % discounts off the $40 data portion
    • Plan requires paperless billing to be enabled
    • Have to call CS or make the switch in store
    Cheers! :)

2. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

It sounds good for many, unfortunately, as a trucker I need at least 12gigs a month, and can easily use 18. I'm going to the poorhouse with them. Grrrrr

3. zoomos macrumors newbie

zoomos

I have T-mobile one plus, unlimited data with phone and tethering and it's working out great.

4. Charadis macrumors 6502a

ATT grandfathered unlimited here, I would tear through that 5GB like nobody's business.

5. cbreze macrumors 6502

cbreze

A great deal for those on the 2GB plan. Also comes with rollover which I did not have available to me on my former 3GB medium plan. Picked this up a week or so ago right after it was announced. 5GB, rollover and I'm saving $10/month. Win/Win for me. I don't use that much with wifi at home and I'm not on my phone that much when away from home. I already rolled over 4.8GB and have 9.5 total. It's working for me.

6. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

$95/mo is still pretty expensive. That's $30 more per month than I pay for my Verizon unlimited data plan, and a few years ago that even allowed you to get a cheap phone on contract. Man, prices really have gotten high.

7. myrtlebee, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017

myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Thank you! Will try to get this after work today. Problem is I'm always skeptical of changing anything on my account as I feel like somehow it's going to get mixed up and I wind up getting screwed.

UPDATE:

People may want to hold off on this, or at least proceed with caution. My sister just tried switching to this promo and now her monthly charge is up to $90+ when they assured her it would be as stated in the ad. Now she's trying to straighten it out with 2 employees. This was all done through online chat, so if you do try to switch to this promo maybe call or stop by a Verizon store and double check your account before you stop talking to the rep.

8. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

The first bill is always higher since you pay the pro-rated charge for the first month, and whatever balance you had from your old plan.

9. foxconn Suspended

And that's why plans are expensive, because of users like yourself. Use wifi when you can, especially at home.

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

1. Generally chat/phone is more reliable than in store in my experience.
    2. That being said, VZW, TMO, & ATT all generally suck with communicating new promos to their CSRs. Several of us have been bitten by this on our respective carriers.

11. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Not really. Unless she was paying out the wazoo for her old plan. I have always had the old bill prorated and the new one is too. I generally try to do it right near the old bill close out date. Even when I didn't I generally made out better or broke even.

12. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

No, it's expensive because more people don't use as much data as him. If 20GB was as common as 2GB today, you'd see much better price per GB plans available, but because carriers do such a great job of forcing people to use little data, the average use is very low.

13. foxconn Suspended

More traffic = more load on the towers = more cost

14. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

It doesn't cost $10/GB to send traffic across the network. In fact in many areas the towers aren't near peak load constantly anyways. The carriers are making billions of dollars from charging so much for data use, because they can get away with it since people are accustomed to using as little mobile data as possible while still paying a lot per month.

15. foxconn Suspended

i agree, but if you give everyone unlimited data, people will cancel their home internet and tether everything from their phone. that will cause network congestion and LTE speeds will turn into Edge/3G speeds.

16. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

True, but I think we'd likely have caps several times higher than the 2GB that carriers throw around as average use now.

17. foxconn Suspended

2gb is a joke, 10gb minimum would be nice.

18. willmtaylor, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017

willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Companies make money. That's why they exist and there's nothin wrong with that. We vote with our dollars. If you don't like how a company does business, take yours elsewhere. Period.

2GB is typically plenty for my wife and me. Actually, b/c of VZW's newly-implemented rollover, I'm getting to keep my unused data from month to month. Last month we only used 500MB, so this month we share 3.5GB.

No joke.

19. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Not true. Running Apple TV, PS4 and computers would overload a phone.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 31, 2017 ---
    I have the t mobile, it's 6Gb with roll over. I use my phone when I want. It's simple. Think I exceeded 6gb once. Same for the family.

20. Charadis macrumors 6502a

You and At&T must be working together ;)

Attached Files:

21. Raist3001 macrumors 6502a

Raist3001

And me as well. We have a 6gb plan with at&t and we barely use 2 gb a month. Wifi is everywhere.

How do folks who use over 10gb a month use their data? Serious question.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

They constantly stream music/video. Constantly. I see it with my students. They never put their phones down except when forced to.

23. Hal~9000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Just an update in case anyone switched and was wondering: the $5 monthly discount came through as expected, even if it wasn't showing up on my bill initially.

This plan is great as before I was paying $52.28 per month (after 15% employer discount + taxes/fees) on their 2gb for $55 individual plan... yet now I get 5gb and pay even less than I was before @ $51.47 per month :)

24. uwdude macrumors 6502a

I got on this too- it's available online if you're already a customer. It should show as one of the plans you can switch to. I recently came back to Verizon, and I was impressed how they made my bill drop date the day I signed up, so that the first bill was just for one month plus activation, instead of the usual almost two months huge bill.

25. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Thank you for this!! I was on the 4GB plan but am so glad they came out with this us single line users are not neglected anymore! LO.. I don't have Wifi at work so that extra gig and carry over data will help a lot. Just signed up for it.