pseudobrit is banned?

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
oy ve! i guess it was the aclu thread.

damn. i hope it's temporary.

from another thread, i saw that ~Shard~ and Lacero were, as well, but i've no idea in which thread their trangressions took place.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
You could look up their recent posts, just as I did with pseudo. All I came up with on him is the ACLU thread, in which it seemed several posters were misbehaving, but not outrageously, and nobody else was banned.

Would the mods care to explain this situation?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Lemme take a shot in the dark:

The forum FAQs say that banning (other than outright spamming or trolling) is preceded by PM from the mods. If we assume that was the case, then the circumstances of that conversation would presumably have supported whatever action was taken. And I would not expect the mods to make public that private conversation, so...

Banning happens, my experience thus far is that the mods are neither unreasonable or draconian.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
We haven't had a banning in this forum since the rules were changed to prevent newbies from posting here (which was an open invitation to outside trolling and routinely abused). I can't recall the last time a regular was booted and most of those who were practically begged for it.

I've supported the mods in their decisions most of the time, but on its face at least this seems to be an unusual action. So I'm asking.

FWIW, Lacero is banned but ~Shard~ is not.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
It's often a cumulative effect, and whilst I'm not going to comment on an individual case, it's fair to say pseudobrit wasn't banned specifically for that thread alone.

Regulars who get banned usually have history, but you won't get any details from the mods.

I'm replying here specifically to IJ Reilly's query.

Pseudobrit will be back soon enough.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
So do you send a PM to the member first as a warning, and then ban him if he doesn't listen to that warning?

No warning would be harsh.

And I liked Lacero and Pseudobrit

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
IJ Reilly said:
We haven't had a banning in this forum since the rules were changed to prevent newbies from posting here (which was an open invitation to outside trolling and routinely abused). I can't recall the last time a regular was booted and most of those who were practically begged for it.

I've supported the mods in their decisions most of the time, but on its face at least this seems to be an unusual action. So I'm asking.

FWIW, Lacero is banned but ~Shard~ is not.
Why would Shard have been banned? :confused:

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Diatribe said:
Why would Shard have been banned? :confused:
As WinterMute said, reasons for bans or "time outs" are between the moderating team and those involved.

No one is banned for no reason, or without warning. Those members that have been mentioned will be back.

Zaid

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2003
London
edesignuk said:
As WinterMute said, reasons for bans or "time outs" are between the moderating team and those involved.

No one is banned for no reason, or without warning. Those members that have been mentioned will be back.
Maybe we should throw them a "Welcome Back" thread :) Sort of like when a mate comes of out jail :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Amen.

The last time the mods called a "time out" on a poster, which was quite a while ago, some mention was made -- not necessarily of the specific cause or causes, but at least of the fact that the member would be allowed to come back after a prescribed period of time.

I think that would be a good policy to continue, especially considering that this board is frequented by a relatively small number of regulars, so it is unnerving to see one slam-dunked for no apparent reason.

BTW, as nearly as I can tell ~Shard~ was never banned. Somebody else said he was, but he wasn't when I checked.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
generally speaking long-time members will be given a "timeout" as opposed to a permanent ban. That is, unless the line has been crossed by a mile.

We do discuss things before they happen with long-term folk. n00bs just get blasted ;)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
IJ Reilly said:
Amen.

The last time the mods called a "time out" on a poster, which was quite a while ago, some mention was made -- not necessarily of the specific cause or causes, but at least of the fact that the member would be allowed to come back after a prescribed period of time.

I think that would be a good policy to continue, especially considering that this board is frequented by a relatively small number of regulars, so it is unnerving to see one slam-dunked for no apparent reason.

BTW, as nearly as I can tell ~Shard~ was never banned. Somebody else said he was, but he wasn't when I checked.
He may well have been for a day or two, we can ban a member for any length of time, but usually a day or so, a week or a permanent ban is instituted.

As edesignuk said, no one get banned for no reason or without warning.

[edit]

Coo, a regular mod-fest going on in here.... Who else fancies a holiday from MR?? :D

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Mudbug said:
generally speaking long-time members will be given a "timeout" as opposed to a permanent ban. That is, unless the line has been crossed by a mile.

We do discuss things before they happen with long-term folk. n00bs just get blasted ;)
Just for the record, I didn't say it was for no reason, just no apparent reason. It's good to know that board veterans won't get their heads handed to them merely for having a bad day.

I've scouted out some of the many Mactel threads that sprouted up this week, and some of them got pretty hot. Made the Politics boards seem downright calm by comparison. In one of the few I elected to participate in, I was sideswiped pretty good for making what I thought was an entirely noncontroversial observation. I'm sure this week presented quite a challenge to the moderators.

So let me be clear: I think the mods do a really good job of keeping order in this inherently disorderly place. Sometimes the policies could be a bit clearer, is all.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
IJ Reilly said:
Just for the record, I didn't say it was for no reason, just no apparent reason. It's good to know that board veterans won't get their heads handed to them merely for having a bad day.

I've scouted out some of the many Mactel threads that sprouted up this week, and some of them got pretty hot. Made the Politics boards seem downright calm by comparison. In one of the few I elected to participate in, I was sideswiped pretty good for making what I thought was an entirely noncontroversial observation. I'm sure this week presented quite a challenge to the moderators.

So let me be clear: I think the mods do a really good job of keeping order in this inherently disorderly place. Sometimes the policies could be a bit clearer, is all.
I'll second that last and add the following:

If us veterans got our asses handed to us any time we took someone off at the shoulders I'd have dissappeared LONG ago. Granted, I've cooled off considerably in the last couple of years (I even reported myself the last time I just couldn't help myself).

However, I think the Mods express some latitude for us old timers simply because such outbursts are rarely routine and are often used in a last resort when either another veteran is being verbally pummelled or when the Troll Bazooka has to come out of it's case.... :cool: ;) :D

As in:

" I really did try to reason with him but then he started picking on IJ's Momma... So I did a Sam Kinisson on him."

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Mudbug said:
this just made me smile. :)

By the way, when did mudbug become a "God"? Didn't he used to be an "editor" or something? I thought Arn was the only "God"... or what have I missed lately? :confused:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Wow, this is interesting, I have allways thought the Mods leaned to their politics, and biases........Im still wondering why iam carring this red dot around :confused: Im sure it was political or said something antiMac. :rolleyes:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
Dont Hurt Me said:
Wow, this is interesting, I have allways thought the Mods leaned to their politics, and biases........Im still wondering why iam carring this red dot around :confused: Im sure it was political or said something antiMac. :rolleyes:
What red dot?
:confused: